SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

should I apply ? Loma Linda

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by calipaww, Aug 20, 2002.

1. calipaww

calipaww Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2002
    cali
    Hello everyone! i am having sort of a dilemna about applying to Loma Linda. I am not 7th day adventist or even christian for that matter and have no church affiliation... their average stats are higher than mine.. this whole religious thing is scaring me off to be quite honest and i think its a bit lame too! Do you guys think i should give it a shot just to maximize my chances?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lola

lola Bovine Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    california
    no. don't give it a shot unless you are religious. if by chance you got in (probably difficult if you can't prove you're religious), you probably wouldn't be very happy there.

4. Tweetie_bird

Tweetie_bird 7+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2001
    I had applied there but thinking of not filling out the secondary.

1. I am not christian, and I don't want to attend weekly chapel meetings.
    2. I just found out that we "may" need a pastor to write us a rec letter. MAY...!
    3. I am not sure if I want to be in a school that is so tied to religion. What about us non-christian folk? anyway, just laying down my thoughts.

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

is it true its a dry school and they force you to go to church services once a week? not sure where i heard that

6. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    I know the desire to stay in CA is strong, very strong...but is it that strong?

7. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000
    ann arbor
    no it is not. :)

8. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Philly
    For me, the answer is yes. Yes, it is that strong. I have yet to declare any religious affiliation in life, but Loma Linda does not scare me at all. I really hate it when people pressure you to practice their religion, and I think Loma Linda respects people of all religions.

My Persian friend went there for an interview (maybe accepted too), and he had nothing but good things to say about the school. Yes there are weekly meetings where you go to a church, but this is substituted for a "moment of silence" (or something like that) if you do not practice their religion. I know a man on UCI adcom and that is what he told me too. He said obviously you wouldn't be shouting praises of abortion there, but that you just need to respect certain belief systems that they have, even if it's not what you believe.

Hope this makes sense and helps.