Should I apply next cycle? 3.3./30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmthw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this and trying to figure out when to apply to osteopathic schools

3.3 both GPAs,
CA resident, born in NY
Research at the Neuroscience center at UCSF with my physio professor
Volunteered for a year at a homeless clinic hosted by UCSF med students and took patients' vital signs, talked to them, etc.
Brother attends Campbell for DO school if that helps at all?
Do I have a shot next cycle?? Been wanting to be a doc my whole life just like so many of you so please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also I'm gonna get a letter of rec from a DO I shadowed who also taught a few clinical classes at Western U in CA

I think you have a great shot at being a DO based on your stats. Why are you waiting until next cycle though? Start and submit AACOMAS if you have everything taken care of (LoRs, transcripts, PS, etc.). It is still relatively early in the application season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research Just started now so I want to wait until I graduate (I'm a senior) to boost my application

I think you're good to go now based on your stats. Submit asap though, you always want to be as early as possible. I have similar stats and I'm getting interviews.

meh throw your app in now. Be verified by December and you should find yourself with a handful of acceptances.

I think you have a great shot at being a DO based on your stats. Why are you waiting until next cycle though? Start and submit AACOMAS if you have everything taken care of (LoRs, transcripts, PS, etc.). It is still relatively early in the application season.

I don't know if SDN is starting to make me neurotic but from all the endless school-specific discussion threads I have had the pleasure to rummage through, it seems like people are getting their secondaries sent in July - Aug and getting IIs in Sept. Are you sure sending in primaries right now at 9-17-15 is "early"?

Early no. But for DO schools and you're competitive (decent mcat) as long as you're in by December you should have a decent chance. There is a lot of DO school movement in the spring due to MD wait lists moving

Early no. But for DO schools and you're competitive (decent mcat) as long as you're in by December you should have a decent chance. There is a lot of DO school movement in the spring due to MD wait lists moving

The OP would be good for most DO schools except for maybe places like PCOM and CCOM.

The OP would be good for most DO schools except for maybe places like PCOM and CCOM.

Agree. CCOM has averaged of low/mid tier MD and PCOM is a total crapshoot with the number of apps they get.

OP. If you are set on applying next cycle you would be a great candidate for DO. If you are just waiting for research then my understanding is that research isn't a very important part of the DO app, can help but is usually not necessary, then you could apply today and be ok if everything else is in order. Good luck!

I don't know if SDN is starting to make me neurotic but from all the endless school-specific discussion threads I have had the pleasure to rummage through, it seems like people are getting their secondaries sent in July - Aug and getting IIs in Sept. Are you sure sending in primaries right now at 9-17-15 is "early"?

Maybe I was exaggerating about early. OP would still be early at Touro NY though. But the research thing is very true about DO schools in my experience. I've been to 2 DO interviews and I've had zero questions about my research. It never came up at all.

Thank you so much for the encouragement guys!!

Touro new York just sent secondaries out this past week. Honestly, I think you will be okay. Make sure you start writing your secondaries asap.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk