DO Should I apply next cycle or not? Help needed!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YTAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I need your opinion in regards to when I should apply to DO schools. I have looked at other career options and it seems like DO schools are the best fit for me at the moment. Let me give you some of my stats and I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys.

I will graduate with my BS. this up coming December. I want to apply for next year's cycle. I am planning to take the MCAT around mid april of 2016 and apply at the beginning of the next cycle. What are the schools that I should target? and should I retake more science classes like gen chem or gen bio?

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: not taken it yet.
upward trend in the last 2 years. Approx, 3.5

EC:
1.5 year of ED volunteer
5 years leadership and tutor young kids at local church
1 semester of math tutoring at a local CC
4 months internship at CTCA
Shadowed different MDs: Medical Oncology, Rad ONC, GI and more upcoming.
3 LORs from science and non sincere faculty.

Other stuff:
Lower SES, first generation college graduate, ESL, came to the US as a refugee seven years ago.
Worked full time during all 5 years of my academic career to support my family.
2.5 years of experience as a paid medical interpreter
Speak 3 different languages

Red flags:

failed physicsI two times but aced it the third time with an A
failed ochemI two times but got a B the third time, and got B in ochemII the first time.
multiple W's due to family illness and unprecedented death in the family.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Take MCAT and get back to the forums. Can make or break you at this point.

Like the previous poster said, your stats are good enough if you have a good mcat score, try to get above 28 to be more competitive for the top DO schools. Your ECs are good but you need to shadow a DO not just MDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the info. I will take the MCAT and hope for the best.

And see if you can find a DO to shadow. Some DO schools like/require a DO letter. Don't take the MCAT until you are very ready.

I think I will be able to find a DO to shadow at my internship site. Thank you for your input! :)