Should I apply NOW, October 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was initially planning to apply next year, however I'm not sure if I want to take another year of my life doing that. Obviously, I did not write my personal statement yet.

Not URM. White applicant.
GPA 3.98 BUT COURSELOAD WAS NOT RIGOROUS. Bio major.
No committee letter.
But have letters of rec from DO and school science professors.

506 mcat (127/124/127/128). I'm afraid of retaking as I might get a lower score. This is my highest CARS score yet of any/all practice tests I took.

• Clinical volunteering, published a study
  • ER Scribe: thousands of hours...does this include my shadowing hours? If so thousands of hours of MD/DO shadowing.
  • Brazillian Ju-Jitsu, Powerlifting (hobbies, not really ECs)
  • EMT-B
  • Lab TA in biology

Members don't see this ad.

I was initially planning to apply next year, however I'm not sure if I want to take another year of my life doing that. Obviously, I did not write my personal statement yet.

Not URM. White applicant.
GPA 3.98 BUT COURSELOAD WAS NOT RIGOROUS. Bio major.
No committee letter.
But have letters of rec from DO and school science professors.

506 mcat (127/124/127/128). I'm afraid of retaking as I might get a lower score. This is my highest CARS score yet of any/all practice tests I took.

• Clinical volunteering, published a study
  • ER Scribe: thousands of hours...does this include my shadowing hours? If so thousands of hours of MD/DO shadowing.
  • Brazillian Ju-Jitsu, Powerlifting (hobbies, not really ECs)
  • EMT-B
  • Lab TA in biology
Yes you can still apply for DO. Don't need to re-take MCAT for DO. Apply ASAP.
Good Luck!!!

Generally the rule of thumb is "before thanksgiving" for secondaries, specific to the DO cycle. Thus it is still relatively "early", so you can definitely still apply. Just take into consideration the amount of time that you need to write your personal statement and the 2-3 weeks required to process your application (I recommend you send your LoRs and transcripts immediately.) Also, as I mentioned in your other thread, scribing is not considered the same as shadowing and you are expected to have a decent amount shadowing experience (50-100 hours in primary care.)

Edit - Keep in mind that when researching schools, there are those that specifically require DO letters of recommendation, that may or may not influence which schools you can apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're definitely competitive for all DO still. Just apply ASAP.