Should I apply now or...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darat_dmd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...wait? Read this & give me your honest opinion, please.

I've been back in school for 5 major semesters(spring & fall) & 2 summer terms & have earned 94 hours since I've been back in school. Before this I had taken a full semester off from school. Since I've been back in school both my overall & science gpa's are at 3.5. Before I took the semester off I was an apathetic student & had a gpa hovering around 2.0. Now my overall gpa is 2.71 & my science is 3.4. I only need one foreign language class to complete my B.S. in Biology, which I will take this fall. Finally, I am taking the DAT in a week.

My question is, do you folks think it would be wise for me to go ahead & apply now, or just wait & do so next year? While I've done well at school since my return, have I done enough to prove my worthiness to an admissions committee? Considering everything from my previous poor academic record(lots of f's & w's), my subsequent vast improvement, my school's pre-professional committe giving me a good recommendation, my volunteer work at a hospital dental clinic & plenty of observation time with other dentists, what do y'all think?

Also, if I did decide to apply(I have my application all filled out but haven't sent it in yet), what sort of DAT score do you think I might need to at least get some interviews? Honestly, I think I'll do well on the DAT, but I'll know for sure in a week.

BTW, in addition to the one class that I'll be taking in the fall to graduate, I will also be taking a full load, just in case I don't get in or don't apply this time.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation to you. I started out with bad grades. When I decided to switch careers and take the science classes, I got better grades. I got into UOP dental. Since my overall GPA was a shade under 3.0, I applied to a lot of schools. My advice is to apply to a lot of schools, and since you're under a 3.0 GPA, you'll probably find a greater interest from the private schools. You have to try to get at least a 19 on DAT to be really competetive, anything higher just increases your chances.

Forgot one thing... apply ASAP!!! You don't need you DAT scores to apply, that was a mistake I made. I applied a little late (Nov.) because I was waiting to take the DAT and it cost me... I'm guessing that I lost at least 1 interview by applying late. Plus this gives you a head start on any schools requiring a 2nd application.