Should I apply now???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8740

I've posted on here before, Mcgill was my top choice, but I guess I'll never really have a realistic shot there. Anyways I still have one year of school left, and I realize my GPA is low but then again my freshman year GPA was like a 3.0. So I have a decent incline...but I'm starting to question whether or not I should wait until next cycle to apply. I called numerous schools and all of them said it is not too late to apply...Ideally I would like to be in a city as you can probablly see from the schools I have selected...Im just not sure if Im severely limiting my options if I apply now. By the way, I also took the MCAT one more time, and I wouldnt be surprised if I end up with a few points higher..maybe 34, 35 if Im really lucky. I also just calculated my gpa, and it is possible by the end of my senior year to get a little over a 3.5...if I do well enough.

Boston University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Temple University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
Uniformed Services University of the Health Scienc
New York University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Mcgill University

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted on here before, Mcgill was my top choice, but I guess I'll never really have a realistic shot there. Anyways I still have one year of school left, and I realize my GPA is low but then again my freshman year GPA was like a 3.0. So I have a decent incline...but I'm starting to question whether or not I should wait until next cycle to apply. I called numerous schools and all of them said it is not too late to apply...Ideally I would like to be in a city as you can probablly see from the schools I have selected...Im just not sure if Im severely limiting my options if I apply now. By the way, I also took the MCAT one more time, and I wouldnt be surprised if I end up with a few points higher..maybe 34, 35 if Im really lucky. I also just calculated my gpa, and it is possible by the end of my senior year to get a little over a 3.5...if I do well enough.

New York University
Mcgill University

If you haven't applied yet, your chances are pretty slim. I applied in August last year (gpa 3.43, MCAT-33) and got one interview in December. By the time I interviewed it was too late. This year I applied early and already have 3 interviews. So... unfortunately, based on your timing, I don't think you'd get in this year. Nevertheless, if you can get your stuff off this week, I'd still give it a shot. Sure it'll be a few hundred dollars but it may improve your chances next year. Re-applicants seem to have an advantage. So my advice is to apply, keep your fingers crossed, don't expect much, and know that next year will be a lot better.

Unless you want to spend 8 years of your life in the United States military working at a military hospital after med school graduation, I'd take Uniformed off that list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you want to spend 8 years of your life in the United States military working at a military hospital after med school graduation, I'd take Uniformed off that list.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that someone from Wesleyan would serve in any army other than Israel's

LOL...although i am on the liberal side...there are certainly some conservatives at Wesleyan, that said conservatives could only be found among the athletes haha. I am certainly not looking to join the army, but I would keep an open mind about it... So I think I will apply anyways..I hear Bethesda is a real nice area.

I don't think that you would be extremely late if you got everything together quickly. If you are able to turn around secondaries really quickly, you may even get yourself in before many people who applied earlier than you. It may be financially draining, but even if you don't get in this year, the experience of going through the applications and interviewing will be valuable. As a re-applicant, you will also have quite an advantage. I don't think that it would be foolish for you to apply now.

Have you not submitted to AMCAS for verification yet?

New York University
Mcgill University

You probably should not have retaken the MCAT with a balanced 31, IMHO. It was not going to be the thing that holds you back, and there are more chances of hurting you than helping you once you already have a competitive score for most of the schools on your list. If you haven't gotten the ball rolling on LORs, it is probably too late. Some of those can take a month or more of prodding to get out the door. And if you think your GPA will be higher by next year, it benefits you to wait a cycle. In a rolling process, odds are always highest in June before any seats are spoken for. If you just start now, you won't have secondaries in until well into september. The strongest applicants do still get in applying that late, but with a 3.25 BCPM, you might want to strongly consider applying next June. That's just my two cents.

It may be financially draining, but even if you don't get in this year, the experience of going through the applications and interviewing will be valuable. As a re-applicant, you will also have quite an advantage.

Um no. Being a reapplicant is actually disadvantageous. You would need to substantially improve your application for the next cycle. This process rewards those folks who get everything lined up and apply just once. It is generally to your benefit that you fix any shortcomings before you apply, not wing it and figure you can fix it later. Many people certainly overcome not getting in the first time, but I'd hardly call it quite an advantage.

Do you guys think maybe it would be smarter just to apply to my 2 state schools and maybe like 2 or 3 other low tier schools...that way if i dont get in to these schools (which would be my best shot anyways), I will not have screwed myself at the possibility of being a reapplicant (if in fact it is a bad thing) at all the other schools I have interest in? I feel as this may be the best course of action... What are your thoughts???

Do you guys think maybe it would be smarter just to apply to my 2 state schools and maybe like 2 or 3 other low tier schools...that way if i dont get in to these schools (which would be my best shot anyways), I will not have screwed myself at the possibility of being a reapplicant (if in fact it is a bad thing) at all the other schools I have interest in? I feel as this may be the best course of action... What are your thoughts???

your EC looks good, and MCAT is ok, but your GPA is a serious issue, add to that your lateness, I wouldn't suggest applying this cycle. Wait a year and see, in fact you might need post-bacc to boost that BCMP if it doesn't go up enough next year.u

your NJ schools have lower stats I believe, but I think they are still around 3.5 average for GPA/BCMP. If you don't mind the process, and the financial drain, do it, and hopefully it won't adversely affect your next semester. A large scale application shouldn't be considered though IMO cause of the low probablity of getting and negative impact on your course work; getting that GPA up should be your primary concern.

You are a "reapplicant" if you ever applied to any med school before. Your goal should really be to apply once and get in someplace. If that means apply to lots of schools, that's what you do. I don't agree with whoever advised you that you want to have to go through this process multiple times. If you are a strong applicant, you might come out of it okay, but it is absolutely not the preferred path.

I suggest you peruse some of the threads on the reapplicants board -- you will see that, while not the end of the world, reapplicant status is actually undesirable, and something many people would have tried harder to avoid if they had it all to do over again.

Well I do go to Wesleyan, and I spoke with a person at UMDNJ, and asked about the value of my gpa vs. the value of someones gpa at a school like rutgers (many rutgers kids get accepted to umdnj). The woman said that thats where the mcat comes into play, because they expect students from more prestigious schools to score higher on their mcats...i think my gpa isnt that bad for the jersey schools, while it is slightly below a 3.5...i think any sane person would take the 3.37 at wesleyan vs. the 3.5 at rutgers.

None the less, if i only apply to a few schools, the next time around i only have to click reapplicant on those specific schools the following time around, correct? How would other schools know if im reapplying to other schools, thus giving me reapplicant status at schools i didnt apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait one year. I unfortunately applied quite late last year, not knowing how important it was to get everything in very early until it was too late. Though I got 2 interviews, I was waitlisted and find myself reapplying.

Getting stuff in early is crucial for average to below average candidates. I think if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have applied last year. Use your senior year to get your GPA up and then apply next year with a solid application. I feel like you will benefit in the end.

It was okay for you to retake your MCAT provided you show an improvement. You did take an unnecessary risk.

I would wait, you are a little late in the game. Consider taking an extra semester to improve your GPA.

It was okay for you to retake your MCAT provided you show an improvement. You did take an unnecessary risk.

I would wait, you are a little late in the game. Consider taking an extra semester to improve your GPA.

I understand that it was a risk, but i was scared that i didnt do well previously so I decided to take the test before i even got my scores back..I wanted to apply this year and I also didnt want to lose any of the knowledge i had from previous studying, so i just kept studyin for another month and decided to rush it. Im a little scared, but I would also be surprised if i didnt gain atleast 2 or 3 pts. Wow im really surprised at the consensus here of people telling me to wait to apply, well why isnt my pre-med advisor telling me to wait ?

You are a "reapplicant" if you ever applied to any med school before. Your goal should really be to apply once and get in someplace. If that means apply to lots of schools, that's what you do. I don't agree with whoever advised you that you want to have to go through this process multiple times. If you are a strong applicant, you might come out of it okay, but it is absolutely not the preferred path.

I suggest you peruse some of the threads on the reapplicants board -- you will see that, while not the end of the world, reapplicant status is actually undesirable, and something many people would have tried harder to avoid if they had it all to do over again.

Of all schools I have applied to so far, only one school has asked me if I have applied to any medical school. Every other school simply asked me if I have applied to THEIR medical school before.

Don't apply now, wait till next year. That will give me one less person to compete against at all those schools.

hey greg, these schools asked on the secondaries..could you list which schools you applied to and the one which asked if you have applied to any med school...thanks so much.

hey greg, these schools asked on the secondaries..could you list which schools you applied to and the one which asked if you have applied to any med school...thanks so much.

So far I have applied to
University of Miami*
University of Florida*
University of South Florida*
Emory University
Virgina Commonwealth*
Jefferson
Wake Forest
Harvard*
Yale
Northwestern
Georgetown*
Loyola Chicago
St. Louis University*

The starred ones are the secondaries I have recieved and completed. So far, the only one that asked me if I applied to ANY school before is University of Florida. And then they asked me to explain how I improved my application.

New York University
Mcgill University

I know its your top choice but you should take McGill off your list. They have a GPA cutoff of 3.5, which you don't meet.

ye i realized that with mcgill...anyways ive shortened my list because apparently i wont have reapplicant status at most schools...but i still need to cut it down can anyone advise me on which schools they think i would have the best shot at ...

albert einstein
case western (only cause my brother goes, there..maybe it will help)
drexel
rosalind franklin (anyone know the percentage of oos get interviews?)
temple
vermont
tulane
umdnj (its my state school)

I want to take 2 or 3 more off this list what do you guys think.. i would appreciate advice cause im hoping to send my primary out by tommorrow.

Canadian med schools don't care when you apply .. so you won't be at a disadvantage (time-wise).

ye i realized that with mcgill...anyways ive shortened my list because apparently i wont have reapplicant status at most schools...but i still need to cut it down can anyone advise me on which schools they think i would have the best shot at ...

albert einstein
drexel
temple
vermont
tulane

I want to take 2 or 3 more off this list what do you guys think.. i would appreciate advice cause im hoping to send my primary out by tommorrow.

Einstein might be tough. If you want to be in NYC I suggest applying to New York Medical College as this is more likely.
Also Case has super high stats, so it might not be even worth it. MCW might work too, maybe.

albert einstein
drexel
temple
vermont
tulane

I don't know. But my gut says to remove Albert Einstein, Case & Vermont.

anymore suggestions concerning which schools i should cut out or sub in>?

AdamMD, I am still doing secondaries and was wondering if when you said you applied in August last year, did you mean primaries or secondaries? Hope I'm not too late :)