Should I Apply Out of State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pepperjill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a CA resident and I'm applying to at least 3 in state schools (UCSF, UCSD, and UOP). I know that pharmacy schools in CA especially are very competitive to get into right now so I have also been planning on applying to 2 schools in Chicago (UIC and Midwestern) just in case. For me to just apply to these schools I need to: take the PCAT in Oct, take anatomy lect/lab, and take a 2nd chem class. I'm also working full-time through AmeriCorps so I'm not sure if it's feasible to apply, study for PCAT, take classes and work full-time. I'm beginning to question whether this is worth it or not.

Below are my stats from the WAMC thread:

a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF, UCSD, UOP, Cal Northstate, University of Illinois at Chicago....maybe more if I complete more prereqs (those are holding me back)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.5, but my science grades dropped from mostly As to mostly Bs when I got to upper divs and started becoming more involved in extracirriculars (I'm really worried about my science grade trend)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Plan to take for Chicago

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I volunteered at the univeristy health center pharmacy for one semester

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
By August 2009

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 LORs: Work supervisor, 1 science professor, 1 lab professor, and 1 pharmacist

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Sexual Health peer educator, dorm peer advisor, American Cancer Society volunteer/committee chair and Habitat for Humanity

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I'm pretty comfortable in a one-on-one situation or small setting, group interviews intimidate me, but I have good communication skills from my experience as a peer advisor.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality[/B][/B]
I think it's very sincere, but I haven't read anyone else's so I can't really compare.

So is it worth it to apply out-of-state? Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to UofM. A decent number of us come from california and we have generous out of state acceptance rates (30+%? of our class are non-michigan residents).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Pepper, I would say go for it. Have you thought about other schools out west, like Southern Nevada, Pacific (Oregon), Univ. of Washington, and Univ. of Hawaii? Your GPA is pretty solid, even with the slight downward trend. The only concern would be the PCAT, because it sounds like you've got your hands full with work, and studying for the PCAT takes a lot of time. Can you cut back your work hours at all?

I would apply to UofM. A decent number of us come from california and we have generous out of state acceptance rates (30+%? of our class are non-michigan residents).

Agree, it's an excellent school and my experience with them has been one of the most plesant ones in the process. Dean Perry is amazing. :thumbup:

I would also apply to Oregon State as well. Great school as well.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm working full-time and the hours are flexible, but I am required to have about 40 hours a week so I can't really cut back. I'm going to try to study for the PCAT as much as I can since I already paid and signed up for it. I'll also look into other schools.

Does anyone know of other schools besides in CA that don't require PCAT?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm working full-time and the hours are flexible, but I am required to have about 40 hours a week so I can't really cut back. I'm going to try to study for the PCAT as much as I can since I already paid and signed up for it. I'll also look into other schools.

Does anyone know of other schools besides in CA that don't require PCAT?

All 3 Massachusetts schools will let you in sans PCAT, as will Oregon State (It's called Pacific, not to be confused w/ UoP), Purdue, & WA State.

It's called Pacific, not to be confused w/ UoP), Purdue, & WA State.

Actually, Pacific and Oregon state are two different schools, I believe. Oregon state is a public school affiliated with OSHU health sciences center in Portland and Pacific is a private school, at least to my knowledge. ( I was accepted to OSU, so I have a lot of love for that school ;)).

MPHS, I wouldn't hold my breath for all 3.

One of them, can't remember which one, accepts only a very small number of transfer students and it's simply not worth it statistically to apply there.

Additionally, I can't say I'm crazy about their admission process based on dealing with them - they have never even sent me a rejection letter, or rejection email which I consider rather rude given the fees. :thumbdown: And their staff was always very rude to me.