Should I apply this cycle/my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlinblr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an Asian American at a top 15 university. I recently retook my MCATs for the second time and actually did a lot worse than I wanted to. 29 the first time (11/9/9) vs 25 (10/6/9) the second time. I was wondering if I should retake the new MCATs for my third time and take a gap year in between or should I apply this cycle and try out my chances at getting into a D.O med school?

My GPA is 3.5 and BCPM is 3.3. Thanks for all the help, it really is a stressful and frustrating process.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are low especially at more established DO schools, but realistically you don't have many options other than apply as it is or retake MCAT and apply. It's up to you which you are more comfortable with. The obvious downside of applying with your currents stats is you would have to be willing to settle for newer DO schools and risk not getting accepted. Retaking MCAT also has its risks (i.e. getting a lower percentile than before).

Not to be a jerk, but why would you retake a 29? You stated in another thread that your dream is to be an MD, so you need to take the new MCAT then.
You most likely won't be happy since you are thinking of DO as a backup. Not to mention you are taking somebody else's spot that actually WANTS to go the DO route.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you won't be happy without the MD, then you definitely need to retake the MCAT. If you can "settle" going DO, you dug yourself a hole with the more competitive DO schools. I'd say you've got a shot at the newer DO schools and maybe WVSOM. Good luck.

You're right thanks for all the help guys. I will probably retake the MCATs and see where that takes me

Reactions: 1 user