Should I apply this cycle, or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1900

Reaction score
Demographics: Asian male from CA

Year: Junior majoring in neuroscience at an Ivy

GPA: 3.8 sGPA, 3.87 cGPA

MCAT: 522 (130/130/131/131)

Research:
I joined a clinical research lab last semester and will have about 100 hours by June. I'm also planning on doing summer research in the lab (though this will take place after submitting my primary if I apply this year)

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
I'll have about 100 hours of hospital volunteering by June

Shadowing:
40 hours cardiology

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
~300 hours with various clubs and organizations (mostly involving tutoring and mentoring underprivileged students)

Work Experience:
Worked at a test-writing company the past two summers
Worked as a math tutor this past year

My thoughts/concerns:
Right now the part of my application I'm most worried about is my clinical experience. I was initially planning on applying to around 80 MD schools this cycle and reapplying next year if I don't get in anywhere. Would it be better to apply next year with better clinical and research experience, or to try my luck this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now, you have the GPAs and MCAT to get into a T20. The only things that will prevent you from getting into a T20 are that you are very light on your EC hours. You need more hours in clinical experience (200 hrs min), shadow a primary care physician (25 min since you already 40 from Cardiologist), and other non-clinicals as well as research.

Do yourself a favor and take a gap year and get the hours in. Then you won't need to apply to 80 schools, and you will not chance being a reapplicant.

Reactions: 1 users
With those metrics, you planned to apply to 80 schools??? Take a gap year to get a sense of being truly comfortable outside your comfort zone. This is what most likely will hurt your application IMO. Submit a confident application once.

Reactions: 1 user
Your low clinical exposure hours will limit your chances for interviews. If you are intent on applying this year I suggest these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Duke
Iowa
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
Accumulate 20 more shadowing hours and 200 clinical volunteering hours before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user