Medical Should I apply this cycle or try to improve my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just got my latest MCAT score (512!) and I'm trying to decide between applying this cycle, the next, or doing an SMP.
-My cGPA is kind of crappy (3.26) with my sGPA even lower.
-I'm almost a month into a research internship at a major regional hospital, which will lead to a publication, and
-so far have about 20 hours surgical and 20 hours ER shadowing (much more to come throughout the summer).
-I just began working as an ED scribe as well, and
-I have about a year and a half of chemistry research at university.
-I don't have any LoRs yet, but I've talked to my potential writers and they agreed to do them.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on where to go from here since my pre-med advisor knows about as much as I do.

What are your other MCAT scores?
Applying with a low sGPA without some remediation would be a waste of application dollars (maybe you could be more specific about what it is). Have you completed college?
If ED scribe is your only active clinical experience (which you just started) then you'd be wasting your money to apply now.
How many hours of nonmedical community service do you have now? If none, that is a major hole you need to fill.
Robust research involvement does not compensate for low GPAs.
Do you have any leadership?
Do you have any teaching (TA/tutor/coach/mentor)?

Members don't see this ad.

A good or great MCAT score doesn't remediate a weak GPA. In fact, it heightens the discrepancy.

Apply ONLY if you have a strong rising GPA trend (like two solid years of 3.7+ GPAs).

You're fine for DO schools right now, but if you want the MD, then I suggest post-bac or SMP.

Read this:

1) My first MCAT was a 505, with the low section being CARS.
2) My sGPA is a 3.00, and may improve as I go into my final year of undergrad.
3) Yes, ED scribe is my only clinical experience, and I have community service both within the hospital and outside. (~200 medical, 100 non-medical).
4)- I am a resident assistant and current president of an academic fraternity.
-I have also been a private tutor in maths and sciences for 4 years in addition to tutoring at school.
-I have worked as a TA for general chemistry and anatomy.

1) Nice score improvement!
2) How much upper-level Bio and science classes will you be taking during your senior year? Have you calculated what your sGPA might be if you got all As?
3) Can you characterize your nonclinical volunteerism for us? What were your roles?
4) All excellent!

New questions:
-Are you planning to target MD, DO, or both when you apply?
-Will your shadowing opportunities this summer include a DO? A primary care doc?

1) I have biochem and applied p-chem planned for this semester. I definitely front-loaded my schedule as I honestly didn't know any better and wasn't advised against it. I think I could get my sGPA up to a 3.1/3.2.
2) I have volunteered with a local ministry that provides a lot of different services to the impoverished and homeless community--I've worked in the kitchen prepping meals, met families to assess their needs, and worked with kids.
3) I'm planning on only applying MD since It'll be post-masters degree.
4) I am going to see if I can get in with primary care.
5) If some of the ER docs I work with are DO, does that count?

1) Perhaps you could work in some upper-level Bio your second term of senior year to add to the sGPA repair.
2) Terrific.
3) You're referring to an SMP rather than a traditional masters, right? If you want your best shot at an MD school, completing an SMP with a 3.7+ GPA is your best route.
4) Good.
5) Yes. If you become well acquainted with one, you might ask for a LOR, just in case you eventually decide to apply to a DO school that expects one. Regardless, it would "count" as an employment/clinical letter for MD or DO schools if it's a doc you scribe for.

Congratulations on your MCAT. Now you won't have to worry about it for another 3 years if you ever have to take it again.

I would suggest a SMP and working hard on your studies to show you can get 3.6+/3.7+ in rigorous science-intensive coursework to give yourself a strong shot at the MD application process. For DO you are okay, but it wouldn't hurt increasing that GPA.

If primary care is your desired specialty, be wise to pick programs that really focus on experiences in primary care. DO schools should be a given, so I am not sure why you are only planning to apply to MD schools knowing you may have a better fit with DO. If some of your ER docs have a DO degree, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.