MD should i apply this cycle? TX resident low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elia22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am on the fence about whether to apply this June in Texas or not. Currently I'm scheduled to take my MCAT on May 31st IF I decide to apply this cycle. If not, I will schedule it for August. I haven't taken the MCAT at all so I don't have any scores to offer.

My set back is my GPA - it will be ~3.3 when I graduate and I will have all a's and b's in science classes EXCEPT for 2 c's in orgo 1 and 2. In the past I have made a D in calculus, retook it and made an A but that does not matter anymore since most TX schools have omitted calc as a requirement (from what I understand)

If someone could PLEASE give me a little guidance as to what I should do, I would really appreciate it.

Clinical experience:
- Medical Scribe: April 2013 to present
- Currently doing a 5 month internship with a pediatric surgeon at Memorial Hermann
- Volunteered at TX Children's, Ben Taub in the past
- 2 weeks in Honduras providing immediate medical relief to children and adults

Nonmedical experience:
- Piano teacher for 2 years
- Volunteer English teacher in Italy for 3 months
- Vice President, secretary positions of a cultural club on campus
- Program for Excellence in Selling: recently joined (I'm a marketing major)

Research:
- Presented my Physics/Big Bang research at undergraduate research day
- Working on a clinical trial for LAM lung disease: waiting to be published

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a year and get that GPA up past 3.4.

Hello all,

I am on the fence about whether to apply this June in Texas or not. Currently I'm scheduled to take my MCAT on May 31st IF I decide to apply this cycle. If not, I will schedule it for August. I haven't taken the MCAT at all so I don't have any scores to offer.

My set back is my GPA - it will be ~3.3 when I graduate and I will have all a's and b's in science classes EXCEPT for 2 c's in orgo 1 and 2. In the past I have made a D in calculus, retook it and made an A but that does not matter anymore since most TX schools have omitted calc as a requirement (from what I understand)

If someone could PLEASE give me a little guidance as to what I should do, I would really appreciate it.

Clinical experience:
- Medical Scribe: April 2013 to present
- Currently doing a 5 month internship with a pediatric surgeon at Memorial Hermann
- Volunteered at TX Children's, Ben Taub in the past
- 2 weeks in Honduras providing immediate medical relief to children and adults

Nonmedical experience:
- Piano teacher for 2 years
- Volunteer English teacher in Italy for 3 months
- Vice President, secretary positions of a cultural club on campus
- Program for Excellence in Selling: recently joined (I'm a marketing major)

Research:
- Presented my Physics/Big Bang research at undergraduate research day
- Working on a clinical trial for LAM lung disease: waiting to be published