Medical Should I apply this cycle with low GPA (and no MCAT score yet due to COVID)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Due to COVID, I haven't been able to take the MCAT, which I was hoping to get a high score on to outweigh my low gpa (3.2). I have extensive clinical hours, research hours, volunteer work, and more. I just don't know if its worth applying this cycle since I don't have an MCAT score yet. I figured I would get rejected this year, and reapply next year but if there is a chance I could be accepted, I want to take it. FYI, I am only applying to DO schools (as I want to do primary care). Should I just wait for the next cycle? Or should I apply this cycle? Does being a reapplicant look bad to DO schools?
You may want to check with DO schools where you have networked with admissions staff regarding your 3.2 GPA. I don't think being a reapplicant looks bad to DO schools, but you have to put up a solid MCAT score in their desirable range. That said, you've told us nothing about your clinical experience (shadowing and exposure) as well as community service experience.

I've been an ED scribe for 2 years (over 500 hours), clinical research for 1 year (over 300 hours), 3 medical service trips, volunteered at a refugee center, was a tutor for pre-med first year students, leader of various clubs, etc. Also I have a significant uptrend (4.0 gpa senior year). My low gpa is honestly due to immaturity and avolition after I went through a domestic violence case and couldn't cope, so I just let my grades drop. I'll just apply next year (or go to SGU) thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

A high MCAT score will not remediate a low GPA for MD schools. You're circling the drain the DO as well, and so I recommend either doing a DIY post-bac or SMP.

read this:

Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

And no, DO don't penalize you for being a reapplicant, unless you're don't improve between cycles.

But why be a reapplicant? Apply once, with the best possible app.

I would wait to apply. You want to put up your best application possible so that you have options (hopefully). Your 3.2 GPA is low and needs to be worked on. Like I say to everyone that asks these questions about post-bac/SMP, you NEED to crush it. You are basically trying to prove to the admissions committee that you have what it takes to succeed in medical school. If you take courses and get a 3.0, this is going to hurt you.

Little confused...are you talking about applying without the MCAT?

Yeah I’m gonna wait to apply and take some post-bacc classes. Or just go to St. George’s lol. DO schools are understanding that a lot of people don’t have an MCAT right now and are holding onto applications. I was hoping to get a great MCAT score and take my chance applying but without it I don’t see a point. Thank you! Hopefully next cycle I feel more confident and have a higher GPA. Do you recommend taking more sciences classes or repeating some courses I got Cs? I know I can definitely get an A in Gen Chem now but I was a dumb freshman who didn’t try and got a C+.
AACOMAS officially doesn't do grade replacement, but you can check if individual schools still do. That would dictate any advice I would have about retaking courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.