Should I apply this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LieutenantDan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice appreciated:

I finished AMCAS app and need to submit this week,

3.34 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA with 3.9 avg cGPA for last two years
38N MCAT (15B 12P 11V)

Since last application, 300+ clinical volunteer (with civic award nomination), 100+ shadowing hrs, completed CNA course and general chemistry qtr 2 (4.0 grade), continued working and volunteer research.

This is my third time applying, gonna apply to in-state school but should I apply to broader schools? Or should I just apply to a few MD and mostly DO programs?

Thanks you guys are awesome

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to last year?
What kind of feedback did you get for how to improve your application when you were rejected?
Why so late this year (as you know better)?

Of course you should apply broadly, if the effort is to be worthwhile. Due to lateness in the cycle, I'd have suggested waiting until next June, but I suspect this is your last year of eligibility for your lovely MCAT score. Pick less-selective MD schools if you decide to proceed. Do you have any in mind so far?

Some to check out and see if they fit your profile:

UKentucky, Rush, Jefferson, FIU (13%), Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Albany,
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU, Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Thanks for the list cat.

I applied to 10 schools last year, I should have inquired more but the general sense I got was that I needed more clinical exp, and I only had one semester of inorganic chem. I did a ton of shadowing, finished a CNA course and a quarter of gen chem is summer and I waited to apply so those would be on the app.

As long as I will have opportunities to make my self competitive for hard to get residencies I would rather go anywhere this year (including DO) than hold out for another year.