Should I apply this upcoming cycle or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medigal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at a state school in AZ and am taking 18 credits that are mostly science classes, except one class which is a writing-intensive honors class. I'm in a dilemma about the timeline of my application and I know that I will have to take a decision very soon since the next cycle is coming up.

My cGPA and the BCPM GPA both are above 3.92 (haven't calculated the official GPA yet, these are just my estimations based on my university GPA)
I plan to take the MCAT in Jan 2021

I have volunteered at a local hospital since Jan 2019 until the pandemic happened. However, I only have around 36 hours because my volunteer coordinators kept leaving the job and getting replaced by another, which halted every volunteer's position due to administration issues. I rotated through various departments such as the surgery waiting room, patient unit, ICU, and front desk.

I have volunteered at a student-run free clinic as a Patient Navigator since Fall 2019 and we did our last volunteering event in March 2020 because of the pandemic, so I have 10 hours from that but I hope to gain more hours whenever possible. This is actually one of my most meaningful activities because I worked as a team with the physicians, nurses, medical students, residents, social workers and I learned to interact with the homeless people. I have consoled many people who almost were giving up on hope for a better life and were sick as well as had no place to live. My communication skills and the ability to empathize with people helped me in getting to the root of the patients' problems (medical or social), after which I connected them with social workers and appropriate medical professionals and they took it further to give them resources. I also learned to take medical histories, write the doctors' observations and findings, as well as the prescriptions, then I entered the data into a physical paper as well as an app.

I have only shadowed a neurosurgical oncologist at a teaching hospital in another state for 4 hours just before the lockdown was implemented. The hospital told me that they will allow me to come in for more shadowing opportunities once the situation gets favorable. However, I don't have any other way to get these hours, which has forced me to do the virtual shadowing activities (I know I can't probably put this on my app but still, it is what it is). I don't know any other doctor around the state and I have 0 connections.

I'm a TA for a General Biology lab section since Fall 2019 and I have approximately around 600 hours+ from this job till now. I plan to continue doing it until I graduate. This will be my 2nd meaningful activity because whatever I have learned from this job has made me a better communicator and a leader. My former professor for whom I work as a TA is willing to write a compelling LOR for me because he says that he has felt that I have truly grown as a person throughout my time at the university.

I'm a Vice president of a student-club that I co-founded and started this semester, which is basically a STEM club that is focussed on academic and professional enrichment as well as community service. I'll be the President of the club going from next semester since the other co-founder (who is a President) would be graduating.

I will be working on my honors thesis on medicinal chemistry and that will help me get the research hours starting next month till the time I graduate in Spring 2022. This can be my 3rd meaningful activity most likely. If not, then the club that I found would be my 3rd meaningful activity, I'll see.

I am applying to a Pre-health internship program through my university that is required for my major, but I think I can put that as a separate activity in my application for the clinical experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am also likely going to participate in Virtual Volunteering by the Global Medical Brigades. It might count as clinical experience since the team of healthcare professionals (including doctors) will be showing us the day-to-day life as a global healthcare volunteer in an underprivileged country, and we will be doing many activities for the same.

For non-clinical volunteering, I have hours from a variety of different events and organizations (around 10 hours). But I do plan to add a consistent volunteering activity this semester, which will help me show commitment and also help me gain enough hours. I plan to do volunteer tutoring or food bank, I'm still looking out for opportunities.

For clinical experience, I am stuck because there are no places that I can get a scribe job due to the pandemic. I have contacted a hospital for volunteering since I want to leave the previous hospital position. If the schedule works out, I can probably start volunteering by the end of this semester. However, I know that clinical volunteering still might not help me gain appropriate clinical experience. So, please advise me on how should I proceed.

I know that my hours are not enough as compared to what other people might have because it took me a while to figure out the premed process, I still believe that I can compensate for this when I start next semester. However, owing to the pandemic and the possibility of it being extended next year as well, I am not quite confident about meeting all the requirements before the next application cycle. I do want to apply next cycle, but I don't know if medical schools would view me any less than other applicants.

If you can please offer any insights and advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you very much and I hope that your help can lead me to take a concrete decision!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a junior at a state school in AZ and am taking 18 credits that are mostly science classes, except one class which is a writing-intensive honors class. I'm in a dilemma about the timeline of my application and I know that I will have to take a decision very soon since the next cycle is coming up.

My cGPA and the BCPM GPA both are above 3.92 (haven't calculated the official GPA yet, these are just my estimations based on my university GPA)
I plan to take the MCAT in Jan 2021

I have volunteered at a local hospital since Jan 2019 until the pandemic happened. However, I only have around 36 hours because my volunteer coordinators kept leaving the job and getting replaced by another, which halted every volunteer's position due to administration issues. I rotated through various departments such as the surgery waiting room, patient unit, ICU, and front desk.

I have volunteered at a student-run free clinic as a Patient Navigator since Fall 2019 and we did our last volunteering event in March 2020 because of the pandemic, so I have 10 hours from that but I hope to gain more hours whenever possible. This is actually one of my most meaningful activities because I worked as a team with the physicians, nurses, medical students, residents, social workers and I learned to interact with the homeless people. I have consoled many people who almost were giving up on hope for a better life and were sick as well as had no place to live. My communication skills and the ability to empathize with people helped me in getting to the root of the patients' problems (medical or social), after which I connected them with social workers and appropriate medical professionals and they took it further to give them resources. I also learned to take medical histories, write the doctors' observations and findings, as well as the prescriptions, then I entered the data into a physical paper as well as an app.

I have only shadowed a neurosurgical oncologist at a teaching hospital in another state for 4 hours just before the lockdown was implemented. The hospital told me that they will allow me to come in for more shadowing opportunities once the situation gets favorable. However, I don't have any other way to get these hours, which has forced me to do the virtual shadowing activities (I know I can't probably put this on my app but still, it is what it is). I don't know any other doctor around the state and I have 0 connections.

I'm a TA for a General Biology lab section since Fall 2019 and I have approximately around 600 hours+ from this job till now. I plan to continue doing it until I graduate. This will be my 2nd meaningful activity because whatever I have learned from this job has made me a better communicator and a leader. My former professor for whom I work as a TA is willing to write a compelling LOR for me because he says that he has felt that I have truly grown as a person throughout my time at the university.

I'm a Vice president of a student-club that I co-founded and started this semester, which is basically a STEM club that is focussed on academic and professional enrichment as well as community service. I'll be the President of the club going from next semester since the other co-founder (who is a President) would be graduating.

I will be working on my honors thesis on medicinal chemistry and that will help me get the research hours starting next month till the time I graduate in Spring 2022. This can be my 3rd meaningful activity most likely. If not, then the club that I found would be my 3rd meaningful activity, I'll see.

I am applying to a Pre-health internship program through my university that is required for my major, but I think I can put that as a separate activity in my application for the clinical experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am also likely going to participate in Virtual Volunteering by the Global Medical Brigades. It might count as clinical experience since the team of healthcare professionals (including doctors) will be showing us the day-to-day life as a global healthcare volunteer in an underprivileged country, and we will be doing many activities for the same.

For non-clinical volunteering, I have hours from a variety of different events and organizations (around 10 hours). But I do plan to add a consistent volunteering activity this semester, which will help me show commitment and also help me gain enough hours. I plan to do volunteer tutoring or food bank, I'm still looking out for opportunities.

For clinical experience, I am stuck because there are no places that I can get a scribe job due to the pandemic. I have contacted a hospital for volunteering since I want to leave the previous hospital position. If the schedule works out, I can probably start volunteering by the end of this semester. However, I know that clinical volunteering still might not help me gain appropriate clinical experience. So, please advise me on how should I proceed.

I know that my hours are not enough as compared to what other people might have because it took me a while to figure out the premed process, I still believe that I can compensate for this when I start next semester. However, owing to the pandemic and the possibility of it being extended next year as well, I am not quite confident about meeting all the requirements before the next application cycle. I do want to apply next cycle, but I don't know if medical schools would view me any less than other applicants.

If you can please offer any insights and advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you very much and I hope that your help can lead me to take a concrete decision!
If you are not in a position to pick up several hundred hours of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering, in addition to around 50 hours of shadowing, you are not in a position to apply next cycle. 36 hours from 1/19 through 3/20 is NOTHING. Similarly, 10 hours, 4 hours, etc. are nothing, and are not even worth mentioning on an application, let alone describing as "most meaningful"! :cool: They evidence nothing more than an inadequate attempt to check boxes.

Your grades are great, but you are never going to be able to pick up 3 years' worth of EC hours in one semester. You are definitely looking at at least one gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
^^ under normal circumstances he'd be right but take it with a grain of salt because you are likely in the same position as everyone else. Unless of course they picked up a lot of hours before covid so shop around and see what the applicant pool is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ under normal circumstances he'd be right but take it with a grain of salt because you are likely in the same position as everyone else. Unless of course they picked up a lot of hours before covid so shop around and see what the applicant pool is like.
People will definitely be light next year, but the only people who will be that light will be people like her who have only accumulated 56 hours across both clinical and non-clincial since freshman year, with 4 hours of shadowing, and expect to be successful with zero gap years due to the COVID induced EC interruption from spring 2020 probably through next spring.

There is a huge difference between "a lot of hours before COVID" and 56, which is less than 1 hour per week over the 1.5 years BEFORE COVID, across ALL volunteering activities!!! :cool: Successful applicants next year will almost certainly have fewer EC hours than in years past, but will have far more than 56 plus whatever can be picked up in one semester, whether through gap years, doing more before COVID, or both!

2/3 of people need a gap year with no COVID issues. There is no way anyone who did next to nothing before COVID can reasonably expect to be in the 1/3 who don't need a gap year. Period. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking time to figure things out, which is apparently what happened with OP, but these are exactly the type of applicants that take gap years, either voluntarily or after a failed cycle. A one year interruption in activities due to COVID is not going to alter this universal truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are not in a position to pick up several hundred hours of both clinical and non-clinical volunteering, in addition to around 50 hours of shadowing, you are not in a position to apply next cycle. 36 hours from 1/19 through 3/20 is NOTHING. Similarly, 10 hours, 4 hours, etc. are nothing, and are not even worth mentioning on an application, let alone describing as "most meaningful"! :cool: They evidence nothing more than an inadequate attempt to check boxes.

Your grades are great, but you are never going to be able to pick up 3 years' worth of EC hours in one semester. You are definitely looking at at least one gap year.
If that is what you believe, then well and good. However, please be respectful when you state your opinions because it could also hurt us. I have in no way tried to check the boxes. The activity that I mentioned for which I have 10 hours is the one that means a lot to me, so it's definitely meaningful to me. We only do that once each month for 2 hours but the pandemic forced the club to halt the activity indefinitely. The shadowing as well is the one that reinforced my decision to choose medicine, regardless of it being only a 4-hour activity.

• Okay...
Thanks for the insights! Actually, almost everyone that I know from my university campus who is a premed is planning to take a gap year, and honestly, that scares me because if everyone is taking a gap year, then who will apply? This is definitely a tough time for us but I agree that I should look more into the application pool.

You basically have winter break, spring semester to come up with at least 100 hrs each for clinical and non-clinical hrs and 50 hrs of shadowing and with Covid restrictions expected to continue thru spring semester It's a very tough task!

I think ASU has a roughly 25-75 split in students taking gap year. Certainly need to meet some of the criteria mentioned above, to make application strong.

If that is what you believe, then well and good. However, please be respectful when you state your opinions because it could also hurt us. I have in no way tried to check the boxes. The activity that I mentioned for which I have 10 hours is the one that means a lot to me, so it's definitely meaningful to me. We only do that once each month for 2 hours but the pandemic forced the club to halt the activity indefinitely. The shadowing as well is the one that reinforced my decision to choose medicine, regardless of it being only a 4-hour activity.
I'm sorry -- absolutely no disrespect intended. Also sorry if I was a little too blunt. I honestly didn't mean to suggest that you tried to check boxes; I meant to suggest that's what it looks like, because it does. Sorry, but that's what 60 hours spread over 4 separate categories of EC over 2.5 years looks like to me, and probably to an adcom as well. I don't mean to hurt you. I mean to provide an opinion that will either be confirmed or refuted by other members in order to help you in your journey. Again, no offense intended.

COVID impacted me as well. I ended up pushing back applying for a year. Maybe I'm spot on. Maybe I'm too cautious. But I am walking the walk.

Thanks for the insights! Actually, almost everyone that I know from my university campus who is a premed is planning to take a gap year, and honestly, that scares me because if everyone is taking a gap year, then who will apply? This is definitely a tough time for us but I agree that I should look more into the application pool.
Who will apply? The people coming off gap years, the people lucky enough not to have all of their activities shut down, and the people who have adequate hours obtained before the pandemic.

I hope you are right about nobody being left to apply, but you won't be! This year is looking like it's going to be a record. Even if applications level off a little next year (if, indeed, applications were pushed forward this cycle due to the pandemic), they will probably still be near record numbers.

Who will apply? The people coming off gap years, the people lucky enough not to have all of their activities shut down, and the people who have adequate hours obtained before the pandemic.

I hope you are right about nobody being left to apply, but you won't be! This year is looking like it's going to be a record. Even if applications level off a little next year (if, indeed, applications were pushed forward this cycle due to the pandemic), they will probably still be near record numbers.
This cycle could be particularly cutthroat because of all of the above. If you're comfortable spending the money OP, apply all the same; that's really the only reason not to apply with a 3.92 in this case.

Look at the applicant pool but mostly look at your application and the great big gaps in your ECs. Don’t worry about “who will apply” if everyone takes a gap year. Schools will not be searching for well qualified applicants because thousands of students will have started activities freshman year and have figured out how to continue their activities despite COVID. And on top of your ECs you have the MCAT to deal with.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.