Should I apply this upcoming cycle or the next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadenfreude

T or F: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First post, so I thought I would ask about when to apply. Below are my stats/info:

Undergrad: School in MI (also a MI resident)
Year: Junior
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA: 3.9+
sGPA: 3.9+
MCAT: I plan on taking in May. I'm shooting for around a 35.
Research:
3 summers (two different universities for two summers and an internship at the NIH; currently in the process of applying for another internship this upcoming summer)
3 poster/oral presentations (two science-related, one non-science)
2 conferences attended (one national, one international)
2 publications (one science-related, one non-science)
ECs:
Non-clinical volunteering with a major organization involving 1 week overseas projects (Done 2, will be doing another during this upcoming mid-winter break)
Patient transporter (200+ hours; this might be an issue because I did this during high school when I knew I wanted to pursue medicine; can I still put this on AMCAS?)
Hospice volunteer (20+ hours, ongoing)
Boys & Girls club tutor (20+ hours)
Physician shadowing (both clinical and surgical exposure; 150+ hours, ongoing)
Gen Chem lab TA (1 semester)
Ambassador in Honors program

Finally, not URM

Assuming I get the above MCAT score (let's say exactly 35), would I be a competitive applicant for this upcoming cycle? My plans are to apply to all 6 allopathic MI schools and then try my luck at some of the top private schools. I'm mainly interested in Penn, Cornell, Mayo, and JHU. If I'm not competitive at these schools, what should I improve on, and should I apply during the following cycle (summer 2014)?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. First post, so I thought I would ask about when to apply. Below are my stats/info:

Undergrad: School in MI (also a MI resident)
Year: Junior
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA: 3.9+
sGPA: 3.9+
MCAT: I plan on taking in May. I'm shooting for around a 35.
Research:
3 summers (two different universities for two summers and an internship at the NIH; currently in the process of applying for another internship this upcoming summer)
3 poster/oral presentations (two science-related, one non-science)
2 conferences attended (one national, one international)
2 publications (one science-related, one non-science)
ECs:
Non-clinical volunteering with a major organization involving 1 week overseas projects (Done 2, will be doing another during this upcoming mid-winter break)
Patient transporter (200+ hours; this might be an issue because I did this during high school when I knew I wanted to pursue medicine; can I still put this on AMCAS?)
Hospice volunteer (20+ hours, ongoing)
Boys & Girls club tutor (20+ hours)
Physician shadowing (both clinical and surgical exposure; 150+ hours, ongoing)
Gen Chem lab TA (1 semester)
Ambassador in Honors program

Finally, not URM

Assuming I get the above MCAT score (let's say exactly 35), would I be a competitive applicant for this upcoming cycle? My plans are to apply to all 6 allopathic MI schools and then try my luck at some of the top private schools. I'm mainly interested in Penn, Cornell, Mayo, and JHU. If I'm not competitive at these schools, what should I improve on, and should I apply during the following cycle (summer 2014)?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Re transporter: You can include anything you like, but I'd suggest against it unless you continue the experience at some point in the college years. Perhaps you can resume over spring break when you're home.

Re what to improve to make you appealing to top schools: Peer leadership that accomplishes something important. Another year of local, consistent, weekly nonmedical community service and tutoring with the same gigs.

Another year of research/ECs would undoubtedly improve your chances at top schools, but you are already competitive at most mid-upper tier places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the info.

Another year of research/ECs would undoubtedly improve your chances at top schools, but you are already competitive at most mid-upper tier places.

So, right now, if I were to apply this cycle, I should be competitive for all the schools on my list except the top ones? But, if I were to wait a year and improve on research/ECs, as you say, then I should be reasonably competitive for the top schools as well?

Also, what schools do you consider "mid-upper tier"?

Thanks for all the info.

So, right now, if I were to apply this cycle, I should be competitive for all the schools on my list except the top ones? But, if I were to wait a year and improve on research/ECs, as you say, then I should be reasonably competitive for the top schools as well?

Also, what schools do you consider "mid-upper tier"?
A 3.9/35+ will most likely get you interviews at a couple of your top choices, and those stats will surely get you some acceptances at your state schools (if you interview well, that is). However, if you want to be competitive at Penn and JHU, another year of research will surely help. In addition, if you continue to boost your ECs for another year and pull off a 37+ on the MCAT, you would be in position for some merit scholarships at some big name schools (most notably Mayo).

I would apply this go-around. 3.9/3.9 with a 35 will get you an interview at pretty much all of MI's medical schools and then your fate will rest on your interview. U of M is a bit of a joke with how they manage in-state/out-of-state applicants, but again, I'd guess those scores would net you an interview. It is quite possible though that you get overlooked by the newer schools who don't want to send out invites to students who will likely turn them down if they get into other, accredited, allopathic schools. I talked with an MSU admissions person once and MSU does this too, where they perceive someone with outstanding scores using their school as a fall-back plan. These would be the likes of Oakland, Western, and Central. Your best bets will be MSU and Wayne - MSU because they like in-state students and take anyone (MCAT 25? You're a future GP, come to MSU CHM!), and Wayne, because they absolutely adore in-state students from MI schools.

As the people said above though, interviews are key! Good luck!