Should I apply this upcoming cycle? Or wait until 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. URM, F here. I graduated with my degree in clinical psychology with a minor in sociology in May 2019 with a 3.75 GPA. My senior year I did an honors thesis and decided I didn’t want to do a clinical psych PhD but instead wanted to go to med school. I’m doing a DIY Post bacc (only taking 8 credits a semester because of financial aid.) I’ve taken 2 bio, 2 gen chem, and currently taking Orgo 1 and physics 1 so far. Next semester I will be taking Orgo 2 and Physics 2. My DIY post bacc gpa is currently a 3.85. I don’t have much clinical experience, I’ve been working as a pharmacy technician for a year but I realized that this doesn’t count. I have about 16 hours shadowing and about 40 hours hospital volunteering. I plan on trying to get a nurse assistant job at a hospital when this semester is over to gain more clinical experience. I have not really studied for the MCAT but i did look over some Anki cards over the summer. My question is, should I still apply this upcoming cycle? I can try to squeeze in MCAT studying from now until May but it’s hard since Orgo and physics are so demanding. If I apply in 2022 though, I’ll be taking 2 gap years and that just seems too long to be out of school. Advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the extra year and apply in 2022. Taking ochem and physics, studying for the MCAT, and trying to build up clinical experience and shadowing all in 1 semester during a pandemic is a recipe for disaster. 2 gap years is no where near too long to be out of school. Over 60% of med students took at least 1 gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
You are nowhere near ready to apply in 2021. The MCAT is very important. Don’t take it until you have finished your classes. When are you taking biochem? Generally speaking you need 50 hours of shadowing ,including a good chunk with a primary care doc; 200+ hours of clinical experiences-can be paid or volunteer as long as you have direct, face to face interaction with the sick, injured and dying. You also need 200+ hours of nonclinical volunteering with the unserved/underserved in your community. Medicine is a service profession and this will give you a chance to show your altruism. As a physician you will be working with many people unlike you so you need to show you can work with all kinds of people. Look for volunteering opportunities at soup kitchens, homeless shelters, coaching a team of underprivileged kids in a sport, volunteering at a VA center etc..
So slow down and get everything together before you apply. You only want to do this once, so do it right. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user