Should I apply this year and defer, or should I wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First, not all schools will let you defer so you have to be very careful.

Second, it is not a good idea for them to know that you will be not coming (defer acceptance) before being accepted. They would rather pick someone that will be attending school.

dr.z said:
First, not all schools will let you defer so you have to be very careful.

Second, it is not a good idea for them to know that you will be not coming (defer acceptance) before being accepted. They would rather pick someone that will be attending school.
I agree and dissagree.
Apply to the schools that will defer, and any others that you REALLY REALLY want to get into. That way you can always claim personal reasons for not accepting their acceptance. If you don't get accepted it looks like your more serious and were willing to go back and strengthen your file. The schools that you defered your acceptance, you won't have to reaply to and you can use them as your back up plan. But GET ACCEPTED and then defer, don't defer in advance or you might as well save your time and money. :clap: Briliant ....Heaaaaaaahhhhh!

Members don't see this ad :)
atrovariousg said:
I agree and dissagree.
Apply to the schools that will defer, and any others that you REALLY REALLY want to get into. That way you can always claim personal reasons for not accepting their acceptance. If you don't get accepted it looks like your more serious and were willing to go back and strengthen your file. The schools that you defered your acceptance, you won't have to reaply to and you can use them as your back up plan. But GET ACCEPTED and then defer, don't defer in advance or you might as well save your time and money. :clap: Briliant ....Heaaaaaaahhhhh!

Good advice.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Good advice. But what happens during my interview when they see that I don't finish grad school until Spring of 2007? Thne i will have to admit I am going to defer. Right?
Welllllll, you could tell them that your first choice would be to start med school, but you want to have something to do in the academic arena in case are not accepted, and or that that is the very reason you are in grad school, not so much the degree itself, if you see where I'm going.
Keep in mind that most schools have a policy that they require a letter from your grad school counselor releasing you to do better things should the opportunity present itself. Keep in mind however that this is solely in the case where a student is in a degree bound program, not simply taking courses for graduate credit. It is for that reason that you should seriously consider whether or not you disclose that you are indeed degree bound.

If your first choice is an alo school that does not defer, I would be completely honest in your disclosure. If they defer however, I would leave that disclosure on a need to know basis, and they don't need to know.

If your first choice is a do school and does defer, then you have two routes. If your numbers are quite abit above their average accepted numbers (usually 3.2 and 24-25mcat) then you can afford to be honest as they will want you on their list regardless of when you start. If that is not the case, then you might consider the need to know route and get accepted as a priority over full disclosure. :cool:

If they don't defer, then this would be a case where I would not bother to apply, but it might not be a bad idea to tour the campus and get to know the admission staff. ;)