Should I apply this year or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hassm1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA-3.65 but currently all A's this semester so hopefully 3.7+
sGPA-3.79

I am going to take the mcat this summer so I dont have any scores yet. I only realized I wanted to go to med school my junior year so thats when I started focusing on the requirements. I have 3 years volunteering as a Firefighter at my community FD, currently doing my EMT cert. and doing the application for hospital volunteering. I will try to get shadowing experience before this summer.Can I count my volunteering duties since about 80% of calls are EMS calls as clinical ( I do vitals,transport, ask patient questions regarding necessary history and information). I know all the stuff I do is trivial and it doesnt require a genius to do but it sounds like clinical experience.As for leadership, some calls im the officer in charge, other times i wont be in charge of the whole scene but a particular assignment such as search and rescue squad on a fire call.

Basically, all im saying with all this BS, is do i stand a chance? lol

Thanks for any response

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA-3.65 but currently all A's this semester so hopefully 3.7+
sGPA-3.79

I am going to take the mcat this summer so I dont have any scores yet. I only realized I wanted to go to med school my junior year so thats when I started focusing on the requirements. I have 3 years volunteering as a Firefighter at my community FD, currently doing my EMT cert. and doing the application for hospital volunteering. I will try to get shadowing experience before this summer.Can I count my volunteering duties since about 80% of calls are EMS calls as clinical ( I do vitals,transport, ask patient questions regarding necessary history and information). I know all the stuff I do is trivial and it doesnt require a genius to do but it sounds like clinical experience.As for leadership, some calls im the officer in charge, other times i wont be in charge of the whole scene but a particular assignment such as search and rescue squad on a fire call.

Basically, all im saying with all this BS, is do i stand a chance? lol

Thanks for any response
I would look at the EMS calls that provide for patient interaction to be clinical patient experience. If you get in the shadowing and some volunteering in a clinical environment (which being out in the field does not provide) before you submit your application, I think you stand a chance if you apply this coming summer, if your MCAT score is decent doesn't come back too late.

Your GPA is great. How have you been doing on the practice MCAT test? If you're getting 31+ (maybe even 33/34+ if possible), then I would apply this summer. If not, then it might be a good idea to take an extra year to round out your application.