Medical Should I apply this year? Post-bacc, SMPs or masters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first off I want to say THANK YOU for taking the time to read my post.

I'm about to graduate with a major in Biological Sciences and a minor in Medical Anthropology from my undergraduate UC university in a few months. Here are my stats:

Huge upward trend:
  • 1st year: 3.3 GPA
  • 2nd year: 2.8 GPA
  • 3rd year: 3.12 GPA
  • 4th year (current) : 3.4 GPA and 3.22 sGPA
About me:
I am a first-generation student/low-income student. I grew up in section 8 housing with a single parent. Although I am extremely lucky and blessed to have my mother raise me and my siblings, she had major depression and developed cancer. When she was diagnosed with cancer, I became the 'head' of the household. Working multiple small neighbour jobs at the age of 13 in hopes that a few dollars would help with the bills because food stamps weren't enough. My older sibling got into cocaine and street gangs when he was 12 and as a result, we had to move a lot.

My goal is to reach a GPA of a 3.5 and 3.3 sGPA by the time I graduate by continuing to take 25-40 units each quarter. In my first year, I was taken by surprise by the amount of work in college vs. my underserved high school. I had no idea what college would be like considering that I am the first in my family to even graduate high school. Thus, I failed a few classes in my first quarter but then got back on the dean's list the following quarters after. Then summer school happened. [Trigger warning]. I was drugged & raped, followed by months of stalking, harassment and blackmailing. I didn't come to classes anymore, because I was honestly too scared and my mental health was suffering. My GPA suffered my 2nd year. I devoted my time to volunteering as I found that it was best for letting me "feel happy" again. I managed a senior home, shadowed for 2k hours and visited home (10 hrs away by bus) often to take care of my family, mainly my mother and worked small jobs to pay for trips. Then my third year happens and I decided that I was tired of feeling defeated and started to grind out again. I took way too many units during my second year (20 units a quarter for some reason :c) and it was hard for me to raise my GPA, I had Bs and As. Now I am a fourth year and received a 4.0 GPA with 40 units in a quarter.

Extracurriculars:
- 5 STEM Research Labs, in chemistry, biology, engineering and medicine.
- Church activities director/ events coordinator
- Student TA/tutor for organic chemistry, molecular bio
- Two officer positions and VP of honours fraternity
- Actress/acapella/dance groups
- Sexual assault Peer educator
- underprivileged clinic patient educator
- volunteer at an underserved clinic in mexico, monthly.
- tutor for disadvantaged children
-shadowed DO doctors for 2k hours

Question:
I have been struggling with whether I should apply to this (2021-2022) cycle or graduate programs instead. I have a large upward trend but my GPA is not good enough and I haven't taken my MCAT yet. Especially the sGPA. Even if I do a post-bacc, it would barely raise my GPA as I have taken a lot of units. I heard people still do it to show an upward trend, but I think if I get a 4.0 my senior year that would be considered that upward trend? So there wouldn't be a point in taking another year to show that? Should I just apply to this cycle? Or I could take classes that are considered more difficult or structure it around like medical school at a DIY post bacc or apply to a master to show I can handle graduate coursework? My goal is definitely a DO school in California (or at least near California), and I know SMPs are meant more towards MD schools. Please help, I am unsure what the next step is. Thank you!!
You have definitely had a tough road to this point. As you said, your GPA is low and I suggest a post-bac to prove to Adcom you can handle medical school courses. You have a upward trend but your grades are still low.

Have you already taken all your medical school prereqs? Started studying for MCAT?

How many hours of clinical work/non-clinical volunteer work do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

I see, hmm but is a post-bac still good for me if I have already taken ~110-120 units? I'm not sure if it would raise my GPA by much? Would a masters be beneficial or since that doesn't go into my undergrad GPA, it wouldn't be useful at all? And yes, I believe I have taken all the medical school prereqs, general biology, chemistry, physics etc. I haven't studied for the MCAT yet due to my course load as a senior and I have roughly ~1,000 hours in non/clinical work.
The post-bac isn’t about raising the actual GPA. It’s to show that you have changed and can handle a medical school like curriculum and succeed. Usually we recommend at least a full year of courses.

A masters would not help much as these courses aren’t medical school level unless you’re speaking about a SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I forgot to mention, is it "frown" upon if I do my DIY post-bac at a CC? I've read the comments in your 'reinvention' post that CCs don't have the upper-level science courses needed from that list of classes to take, however, I found a CC near me that does offer those type of courses! For financial reasons, would it "OK" to take the post-bac at a CC? Or it is worth it to just take those courses at a 4-year university and take some loans out since I will end up doing that in the future anyway for med school?
It's better if you do it at a 4 year school, but not everyone has that luxury due to finances, location etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.