Should I apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaysuperman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just made an account because I was lurking around and couldn't find a thread that was similar enough to my situation. I'm a non-trad, 25 years old and am missing some prerequisites. I really didn't want to delay my application because I'm getting older and wouldn't know what to do for another year but this is what I have.

Science GPA 3.72
Non-Science GPA 3.67
MCAT: 10/10/11
CA resident

I'm missing Biology labs I and II as well as Organic Chemistry I and II with labs. I'm doing both semesters of Organic Chemistry this summer with labs. I was lucky that my MCAT didn't have much ochem and I was able to learn the little that I needed to do okay. So My questions is this, should I wait until my ochem grades come back in August and apply next cycle (since that would be late for this cycle)? Or will admission officers not even bother with my app since I'll be missing that class. Additionally I never took the Bio labs while in college so unfortunately I need to take those :( Maybe I can take those at a CC in fall and winter and just list those on my apps as in progress.

Is it dumb to apply this cycle or should I wait a year?

Members don't see this ad.

How's the rest of your application? (ECs, volunteering, clinical, etc)
As far as I'm aware, you don't need those courses at the time you apply, you just need them before you matriculate.
And make sure wherever you apply accepts CC courses, as some schools don't accept them.

How's the rest of your application? (ECs, volunteering, clinical, etc)
As far as I'm aware, you don't need those courses at the time you apply, you just need them before you matriculate.
And make sure wherever you apply accepts CC courses, as some schools don't accept them.

My EC, volunteering and clinical work are all there. I have 4 years of solid research and thousands of hours of volunteering and clinical work. Only thing missing for me is the coursework listed. I'll def make sure they accept CC coursework, I could also take the lab at a 4yr school to negate thate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would almost recommend that you apply now....summer classes are hard, Orgo is also hard. Combining both Orgos with labs into one summer may result in a solid hit to your GPA. Apply while your GPA is still solid?

As far as not having the pre-reqs, it's not a huge deal since plenty of students apply before they finish their coursework. Make sure you apply broadly enough, CA schools are notoriously hard to get into.

I would almost recommend that you apply now....summer classes are hard, Orgo is also hard. Combining both Orgos with labs into one summer may result in a solid hit to your GPA. Apply while your GPA is still solid?

As far as not having the pre-reqs, it's not a huge deal since plenty of students apply before they finish their coursework. Make sure you apply broadly enough, CA schools are notoriously hard to get into.

Ya, I really hate the CA schools are so hard to get into. It's making my list really hard to compile even with the MSAR.

Y

Your reason that you are getting older at 25 is not a reason. Are you trying to get into medical school or are you trying to get in medical school quickly

I think this is a bit dangerous. Summer organic can be brutal, with 15 weeks of school that you are gonna do in 5! Then you will be applying to the most competitive state with average stats missing one the comparison classes. You are also going to be doing your app, trying to quickly turn around well written secondaries, deal with all the rest while being more than a full time student. And you have to do well in Organic. They wont screen you out for not having it by itself but it will be a hole compared to others.

I think it not being the strongest candidate possible

Okay. Well here's the deal. I'm honestly not worried about cramming it into 10 weeks. Iv'e already taken 4 graduate level classes at a Medical School and did beyond well there. On top of that I already have a basic grasp of the class so I'm not going in without any prior knowledge. Additionally, I'll only be taking OCHEM...this is much different than taking 20 units of a bunch of other sciences classes ( and Iv'e already done that). I did take the MCAT already. If I don't apply this year, here would be my next option.

Apply with OCHEM I and II with Bio labs. Assuming I get As or A-s. Iv'e had a 4.0 for the past 1.5 years in undergrad and took a bunch of hard classes. My GPA isn't going to budge. My GPA wouldn't even budge if I got Bs in those classes.

The only thing that could make my app stronger is if I retake the MCAT and get maybe a 33-35.

Is it really gonna make my app stronger applying with those classes completed? I feel like maybe it's just best to retake the MCAT. If it's really gonna hurt my app then I won't apply. Is there anything I can do that would really make me a stronger applicant besides retaking the MCAT?

If you are that good academically then it falls solely the timing being late in the application curve

I would say either apply now without waiting for the MCAT retake **OR** Retake the MCAT and apply next year

Okay, that sounds like a good plan. I might be leaning more towards a retake as I didn't realize how a 31 is actually in the lower range for most MD programs.

Okay, that sounds like a good plan. I might be leaning more towards a retake as I didn't realize how a 31 is actually in the lower range for most MD programs.

31 is a dangerous retake....careful

31 is good to go my man. Your focus should be completing your prereqs and working on your application if you choose to apply this cycle. Only after your apps are complete, should you worry about a retake.

31 is a dangerous retake....careful

I know it's pretty risky, but I also feel like it might severely be limiting my options. I'm basically not competitive for almost all CA schools and I did not prepare adequately the first time.

Even for OOS I'm somewhat limited. So, that's my biggest problem. I'm thinking it might be worth the risk if that opens up way more opportunities for me.

31 is good to go my man. Your focus should be completing your prereqs and working on your application if you choose to apply this cycle. Only after your apps are complete, should you worry about a retake.

From the MSAR 31 looks like the bottom range for most schools. Considering I'm a CA resident i don't have the benefit of having a state school where that would be competitive. That's why I'm inclined to retake. My GPA isn't amazing either although I do have meaningful EC. That's why I'm having such trouble compiling a list of schools.