Should I apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I could use some advice..

Here's the deal:

neuroscience major, chem minor, humanities minor
3.89 cgpa 3.75 s gpa
a bunch of ec's (including 3 summer pre-med internships)

I just took my MCAT and am going to assume I got 29-30 based on my practice test score. I haven't gotten a chance to submit my amcas because of all the time and effort I've put into my MCAT. Since I am trying to get into eastern (NY) MD schools I'm getting nervous about my chances....

Should I bother applying this year (later in the cycle with my stats) or should I wait until next year with a (hopefully) better MCAT and earlier in the cycle?

What do you guys think?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I could use some advice..

Here's the deal:

neuroscience major, chem minor, humanities minor
3.89 cgpa 3.75 s gpa
a bunch of ec's (including 3 summer pre-med internships)

I just took my MCAT and am going to assume I got 29-30 based on my practice test score. I haven't gotten a chance to submit my amcas because of all the time and effort I've put into my MCAT. Since I am trying to get into eastern (NY) MD schools I'm getting nervous about my chances....

Should I bother applying this year (later in the cycle with my stats) or should I wait until next year with a (hopefully) better MCAT and earlier in the cycle?

What do you guys think?

:confused:

29-30 on the MCAT and applying this late is risky. You could apply to a lot of lower-tiered schools and apply to DO schools. I personally would save up the money, re-take the MCAT and get some more EC's in then apply next cycle. Just my opinion though.

hmm could depend on what state ur from and if the schools there take preference to instater's

Members don't see this ad :)
doctorell, You have an awesome GPA and a 29-30 MCAT is not that bad. If you could get your AMCAS submitted in the very near future, you would not be late. I think you can do it this year if you make sure you don't waste any time with the AMCAS/secondaries. Just get that primary sucker in there quick and look up the secondary essay questions while you are waiting for your MCAT score/amcas verification.

hmm- i left out some information

I'm from NY and want to get into NY schools- the SUNY's for instance

I have a connection to SUNY Downstate- my fiance is a first year
and I also have a slight connection to NYMC- I met the dean of admissions during a club meeting that I organized and she kindly asked me to call her when my application is submitted.

I do have above average extra currics and my sgpa is pretty good although I did get B,B+ in orgo1 and 2 as well as B+, A- in physics 1 and 2 and an A- in Biochem. Those are my only non-A's...

My LOR's should be good since I was president of the pre-med club at my school and am on good terms with the person responsible for my committee letter.

Although I haven't gotten my MCAT score yet I'm assuming that I didn't do that great due to my practice test scores which ranged from 28-30. Since I've never gotten above 30 it would be foolish to think I scored higher on my actual. With that said, I still have not sent in my amcas and am currently debating if it would be wise to do so. I'm concerned that a low MCAT combined with a late application would prevent me from getting into SUNY Downstate or NYMC.

Do you guys have any insight as to what would be the best approach here? I dont want to be a foolish applicant who applies when it is clear that I won't be successful. What would you guys do? Also, how late is considered late?

Thanks for your help :eek:

188 views and no replies? c'mon sdn- you guys don't have any more advice...?

I would apply this year, but only to one school until you have the MCAT score back. That way you're not out as much money if your score is poor, or if you scored much higher than you thought, and aspire to more selective schools (everyone thinks they did a terrible job on the MCAT when they're walking out). When the score returns, add more schools and they'll get your entire application within one business day. It will take about a month to get verified at this time of year, so you'd want to get that going ASAP. If your score is terrible, you're done for this season and will retake after an appropriate study period and try again next year.

Once you submit (to the least selective among your school choices), it's time to get a headstart by pre-writing some of the Secondary essays that you can get from the school-specific threads in Pre-Allo, so your turn-around time when you get an official invite will only be a few days.