Should I apply to Boston U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if there is really a point to apply to Boston. I do NOT have the scores that so many of the people have on this board (like 35+ and 4.0) but I would love to go to school in Boston. I am a CA resident. Can anyone fill me in on what their process is? I hear that they basically take 75% of their class from their undergrad program. So basically should anyone even really apply if they are out of state?
Does anyone know anyone who got into Boston without huge numbers?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

75% sounds high to me. But you're right, a certain amount of spots are reserved for their BS/MD. They also have a one year Master's program that is sort of a feeder to their Med School from which they take a few people every year. They don't charge extra for their secondary, (don't even get me started about what a ****ing scam it is that some schools have the kahunas to charge $100 for a secondary), so unless you really need the $30 bucks that SCAMCAS will charge you I'd say go for it.

Their literature from last year says they took 38 students from the BS/MD program for an entering class of 136. Also, GPA is about 3.6, MCATS 9.7 per subset.

Don't forget about Tufts.

Umm...BU does charge 100 dollars. I don't know which secondary you received but please send it to ME :)
hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
you know (sc)AMCAS and bu do have a lot of people working very diligently for that fee of a $130+ per application . . . :D

btw out of the 150 accepted to the class of 2000-2001,only 19 of those where the bs/md highschool type, and 105 where from out of state, the odds seem alright to me. i also imagine that a big chunk of those out of staters where from cali too, just seems you guys end up everywhere.

Well you know...
the demand for plastic surgeons has increased dramatically lately...

Jdub is right. Admissions at BU is pretty much just like any other private US med school. I am applying there with numbers much lower than what you stated in your post. I feel like BU is a definite possibility for me. Their average MCAT is 9.8 and their average GPA is something like 3.5 (this all from USnews and World Report). The secondary fee is expensive but hey you also don't have to actually complete a secondary--no essays, etc., etc. I say go for it.

I'm with Georgey -- go for it! I am, and my numbers aren't spectacular. My GPA is 3.5, science 3.4, other 3.58. I take the MCAT tomorrow, so won't know those numbers for 2 months. Wish me luck!

Originally posted by jdub:
•you know (sc)AMCAS and bu do have a lot of people working very diligently for that fee of a $130+ per application . . . :D

btw out of the 150 accepted to the class of 2000-2001,only 19 of those where the bs/md highschool type, and 105 where from out of state, the odds seem alright to me. i also imagine that a big chunk of those out of staters where from cali too, just seems you guys end up everywhere.•
We have to! Our state hates us.

:p

hey folks,
I just want to give you all the inside scoop on Boston University. First, out of the 140 seats, approximately 20 are bs/md, then another 20 for the early acceptance program for their undergrads (MMEDIC)and then about another 10 straight BU grads who apply like the rest of us, and about another 10-15 folks that get in from their Masters in Medical Sciences program. Now, that leaves about 75-80 real spots for regular applicants :eek: :eek: !!!! So be careful and these numbers are not inflated and stay relatively the same year after year. I know because I was a BU undergrad and was accepted this past year into the program. (I'm not going--too expensive and I got into my first choice...but I thought about it for awhile). Keep in mind their financial aid is need based only and they expect you to take 25K from Loans regardless of your EFC and with a budget of 54K for the first two years and 63K for the last two...you have to think long and hard about whether or not you actually want to apply to this outrageously overpriced, incestuous school that has class 8-5 almost everyday. By far there are better schools with better admissions procedures. If you do have your heart set on BU, however, write them, send them letters saying why you like the program...and once you get an interview, write the person you interviewed with and tell them again and frequently why you want to go. They are your advocate to the admissions committee. Hope that helps and good luck!

Hey!
One thing about BU is that it is the second most expensive medical school in the US (i think the #1 spot goes to U.C. Boulder for out-of-staters). THAT is why many people who get accepted (but who also got in elsewhere) turn BU away and that is why many people who get wait-listed GET IN! lot of CALI kids are in the class too (same reasons... it's tough staying in CA for med school) ---

SCOOBY - i would apply. it's an easy secondary.... yes, it's 100 bucks (it WAS 90 AND 95 the past few years) BUT i know people who have gotten in with HORRIBLE numbers.
one person got in w/ a 6 in verbal.
another person got in w/ a 27 on the MCAT.

it's kind of sketchy the way the AdCOM works here.... but whatever. those are facts.

it's a unique class in that you have different groups coming together like SPACECADET said: MMEDIC, BS/MDs, GMS (MedScis), and another program that goes through the Caribbean (a handful of people) plus the normal applicants.

the education is ok. one thing to note, HISTOLOGY (Microscopic Anatomy...) (which is usually a cushy class at other schools) is NOT cushy at BU at all. it is a tough course that many students have a hard time juggling w/ GROSS.

I went through the MedSci program and am currently filling out my secondaries. my best bet is BU (my state schools (florida) are pretty tough to get into) .... but if i got into BU and another school I may consider the other school just b/c of BU's ridiculous tuition.

i think you should apply to BU... you probably have a good shot.

PLUS BOSTON is such a cool town!!! -J :cool:

i heard that in anatomy at BU, there are *ten* people to a body. is this really true?! :eek:

hey

does anybody know if tufts is any better?

good god, how can they justify such a high tuition?

10 folks to a cadaver? hearsay?

jdub and sandflea,
the ten to a cadaver thing is true, however, when I interviewed last year they said they were trying to get enough bodies so that it would be 8/body this year!
And Tufts is almost identical to BU: virtually same tuition, meager financial aid.
Big differences: Tufts has better combined degree programs and almost all of tufts hospitals are tertiary care, fee for service/HMO based systems whereas BU runs Boston Medical Center/City hospital where they will see anyone regardless of ability to pay so excellent experience/clinical work!
If you like Boston and don't mind the cost...go for it!