Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Should I apply to Caribbean schools first time around?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DAT_MAN, Mar 11, 2007.

1. DAT_MAN

2+ Year Member

If you just wanted to practice as a family doctor, would you go to a caribbean school if you were not accepted by U.S schools? Would you apply to caribbean schools and U.S. schools for your first time, or wait? What are the pros and cons?

2. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How do you absolutely know you want to be an FP? What if you get to school and fall in love with plastic surgery? ;)

Try first for a US MD and or DO school before you ship off for the caribbean. It won't limit your options, you'll be able to stay in the states, and it will likely be cheaper (if its a state school).

Caribbean schools should be a last resort for the die-hard pre-meds.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most people change their minds as to what specialties they find interesting. It is actually the rare person who goes into the exact specialty he was contemplating when he applied. It doesn't make sense to limit your options until you absolutely have to.

4. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i'd stay in the states if possible. either MD or DO. it should save you some money at the very least.

5. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Can't really advise until I see some numbers.

6. OP
    OP
    DAT_MAN

2+ Year Member

My G.P.A. is a 3.6. Sci is 3.7. I still need to take physics 2 and organic 1 & 2. Calc 2 I'll probably take too. I'm just worried about my freshman year and first half of sophmore year. I have 9 withdrawls in mostly the gen AA requirements and I made A's in all the classes I have taken over. I hope I didn't screw myself

7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    You do have blemishes on your transcript, but maybe you want to finish your prereqs and see how the MCAT pans out. If those numbers are okay, you may want to try and talk to an admissions person at your state school and see whether what you have accomplished is in the ballpark. The caribbean will still be there if US is a no go.

8. tacojohn

tacojohn Membership Revoked
    Removed

Why do people insist on posting these questions here instead of the premed forum?

9. Biscuit799

7+ Year Member

I agree in principle, but unfortunately the premed forum is full of pretentious doofuses who'd just tell the OP s/he should just give up and go to PA school.

10. Dr. Dukes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those numbers are higher than my averages. I take what you have left, and take the MCAT. Apply to all of your state schools and a bunch of others. It will be expensive, it will be time consuming, and you'll hate you life with all the paperwork. Do it anyway.

11. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those stats are higher than mine were too, and I had some withrawals on my transcript also. Can you explain what happened to make you withdraw that much to the adcom, possibly in the light of what you learned from it and how you grew you could mitigate its effects a bit. Definitely think about how you're going to explain it tho because if you do get and interview I guarantee you will be questioned about it. Don't sell yourself short. Carribean schools are a great option for people who don't get into US allo and don't agree with the DO programs, but they have some disadvantages such as opportunities after graduation and higher cost of attendance. Give the US allos a go, look into DO, if it doesn't work out then improve your app, apply again and put some carribeans on the second time thru. Many people need more than one go around to get in anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. spreebee

spreebee Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Dude. Apply everywhere you can and see where you get in (Big 3 Carribean included). So many in the Carribean end up in FP... But, that would be your fault. If you attend St. George, Ross, or AUC and score high on the USMLE with good recommendations you can go into any specialty you'd like... People end up in FP becuase the majority of Carribean students USMLE's are just average or under average. IF you score in the higher range you'll find a top specialty spot somewhere... And why do I say this? Alot of program directors are familiar with these 3 schools and already have many practicing physicians in the U.S. Also, clinical rotations are in the U.S. so it's not like your coming over from North Korea or something...

13. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN

Attending Physician
    moving to pre-allo...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Kfire326

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    9 Withdrawals? You might be asked to explain that...

Either way, I applied broadly my first and only time round (lots of U.S. MD, 1 DO, 1 Caribbean). I got into the Caribbean, DO, and 1 U.S. MD (and counting). It's good to have backups.

15. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    9 withdrawals is going to be something that you'll have to explain (seriously, ??? why would you withdraw 9 times?) and it'll definitely make your high GPA look a lot less impressive, since basically you took out anything that could have hurt your GPA.

That said, I'd apply broadly and maybe throw in DO schools. And so long as you did well when you retook those classes you're not really out of the running.

Anyways, basically I'm saying don't go carribean just yet lol.