Dental Should I apply to Dental School after getting my PharmD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I graduated from pharmacy school. I have not taken my boards yet since I am still prepping for them. Since I was a child my dream was to become a dentist. Before applying to pharmacy school I took my DAT once and since my score was a little low I did not get accepted to any dental schools even though my GPA was 3.8. I gave up and stopped trying therefore, I decided to apply to pharmacy school. During those 4 years of pharmacy school I truly learned to never give up and I learned how to deal with my problems in life properly. To be honest I do not see myself working as a pharmacist. I am planning to take my boards in a few months (since I have already gone through 4 years of pharmacy school), take my DAT, apply to dental schools and achieve my dream. I have a few questions:
  • If I apply to dental school with a Pharm D degree, is my acceptance chance going to be lower or higher?
  • If I have already gotten student government based loans for pharmacy school, am I still going to be qualified for getting loans for dental school?
  • Do you know anyone who was in the same situation as me?

My advice: complete your education as a pharmacist. Your chances of getting into dental school so soon after completing a Pharmacy degree is going to raise a bunch of questions about your decision-making process about your career. It's expensive to go to pharmacy school and even MORE expensive for dental school; unfortunately most of the money earmarked for grad/professional education you have already spent down for pharmacy school financial aid, so the debt number you carry into going to dental school is REALLY HIGH and amount of federal financial aid available to you is REALLY LOW. I don't know of your situation, but basically you won't be able to get financial aid so easily.

Do I know anyone who changed careers in health care to be a dentist? Yes, I have. My response summarizes many faculty discussions about the issue. In some cases, we've moved to interview candidates because there was enough time taken by the applicant who showed his/her ability to work as a health care provider for a number of years (say 10 to be sure) before deciding to move to a different area of health care. By that point the person significantly paid off education debt and personal debt, and understood the financial constraints of going back to school for more education.

I would suggest finding a job where you as a pharmacist can be in an environment where dentists are around and you can work with them. There aren't many since many dentists don't "need" a pharmacist unless they are in the hospital OR. While I don't think it's impossible, you have made a significant commitment and decision towards a health care career, and you can't easily backtrack just because it isn't your dream to work in pharmacy. You made it your career, so make it your dream to help people in that role.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.