Should I apply to Dental school or do a Masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogoclever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to dental school this June as early as possible. However, I'm second guessing myself after doing some reading on SDN and researching stats for schools that I want to apply to. My GPA is 3.52 overall and science GPA is a 3.33, DAT scores are 20AA, 19 sci, 21 PAT, 22 reading. I've held leadership positions, volunteering, done research, interned for 350hrs as a dental assistant etc. Currently taking a year off and working fulltime for the government in a lab. A little worried my science GPA is a little low and other than that it seems like a lot of people have stats that are a lot higher than mine. I'm a California resident and plan on applying to all 6 California schools, UNLV, Midwestern Az, NYU, Tufts, BU, Lecom, UF and a few more. Should I be applying to a Masters program this year in case I don't get any acceptance letters from dental school next cycle? Or will I have pretty good chance of getting into dental school somewhere? I'm just not exactly sure what I should be doing and thought it would be great to get some feedback here since people are very knowledgeable here.
P.S. my dream school is USC and would really love to go there, I live in LA and would like to stay here

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine. TS is a little low but I'm sure you make up for it elsewhere in your resume.

Your GPA and DAT are good enough to apply for dental school and you have a good number of extracurriculars as well. I see no reason why you couldn't get into a dental school. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
We have very similar stats. I applied a bit late (app was mailed late August). You should be fine if you apply early.

My results were as follows:

UNE: pre-dec interview, accepted in jan, declined offer
LECOM: pre-dec interview, accepted dec 1, declined offer
MWU-AZ: post-dec interview, accepted in jan, accepted offer

NYU: post-dec interview, declined interview
Tufts: post-dec interview: declined interview

Penn: rejected w/o interview
Pitt: rejected w/o interview
GRU: rejected w/o interview
Nova: rejected w/o interview

BU: silence
UF: silence
Temple: silence

You should apply. If you don't get in this year then keep yourself busy with school and research. I wouldn't start a master's program unless you intend to complete it.

I was able to work out a special circumstance with my undergrad to do some post-bacc work including taking some graduate level courses without having to be in a master's program. During that time, I also worked as a research lab assistant.

My point is that things aren't always so black and white when it comes to University studies, especially if you have a good relationship with the department/faculty.

Applying to both is a very acceptable option. But yeah, if you should only do the masters if have the intention of finishing it. I'm sure many masters programs will give you plenty of time for you to decide whether you wish to accept or decline the offer. Your stats may be a bit borderline but are definitely not in the danger zone. If you do want to do a masters, then chances are you have more freedom to choose a program that is more interesting to you and/or more marketable. You wouldn't have to limit your options to those special masters programs, which people do to compensate for a poor undergrad GPA.

Applying to both is a very acceptable option. But yeah, if you should only do the masters if have the intention of finishing it. I'm sure many masters programs will give you plenty of time for you to decide whether you wish to accept or decline the offer. Your stats may be a bit borderline but are definitely not in the danger zone. If you do want to do a masters, then chances are you have more freedom to choose a program that is more interesting to you and/or more marketable. You wouldn't have to limit your options to those special masters programs, which people do to compensate for a poor undergrad GPA.

I don't want to do a masters if I don't have to. I was only thinking of doing a masters because I thought my gpa and science gpa was a little low. I wanted a backup plan if I didn't get into dental school this year so that I had something else to do for a year.

I don't want to do a masters if I don't have to. I was only thinking of doing a masters because I thought my gpa and science gpa was a little low. I wanted a backup plan if I didn't get into dental school this year so that I had something else to do for a year.

If you don't get into dental school this year, the important thing is that you do something productive with your gap year(s). It doesn't have to be a masters if your GPA is fine. You would need to find out what the weakness in your application is and do something to improve it. Based on your stats, they could be better, but the way they currently are should not keep your application from getting considered.

I'd say apply, you sound competitive to me. If it helps you compare, I've heard back from 4 schools so far after applying on Nov 27 (really late!), 2 rejections (UConn and Colorado) and 2 interviews (MWU-AZ and Maryland). My sGPA is 3.58 and DAT is below. Still waiting to hear from a bunch more so I honestly think you should give it a shot before a grueling and (imo) unnecessary Master's Degree.