Should I apply to dental school with these stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomapbobo

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently took that DAT and is applying early this cycle. I got a 21 AA and 21TS but my gpa is 2.98. I dont think I would take the DAT again due to having to wait 3 more months to take it and a lot of people getting displaced because of the current situation. I have 120 hours in dental shadowing and 3000+ hours of experience in the medical field due to working at the hospital. I was wondering if anyone got anyone got in with similar stats. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
PAT and QR are generally the less important of the DAT sections but some schools still have cutoffs. Probably no need to retake. And yes, people have gotten in with your grades but these are very exceptional cases that you shouldn't count on. You should do a post-bacc or masters program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your dat is fine but you must do a masters or post bac program to bring that gpa up

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I recently took that DAT and is applying early this cycle. I got a 21 AA and 21TS but my gpa is 2.98. I dont think I would take the DAT again due to having to wait 3 more months to take it and a lot of people getting displaced because of the current situation. I have 120 hours in dental shadowing and 3000+ hours of experience in the medical field due to working at the hospital. I was wondering if anyone got anyone got in with similar stats. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
I know QR is considered one of the least important sections, but I think maybe you might want to consider retaking so you can improve your PAT, or otherwise pick up some hobby that involves manual dexterity in case they ask you how you’re improving your perceptual ability skills in an interview.

The GPA is definitely the main problem, so I would do more school if I were you. I know you can do one year long Master’s programs. If your GPA is low because you did poorly in pre-req courses, I wouldn’t do the masters, and instead just do a post bac program (unstructured type) where you can select courses from areas you’ve been weak in, and prove you can be a strong student in those subjects . Best of luck!