Should I apply to DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BecksTriad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've been getting some mixed advice on whether or not I should apply to DO school so I wanted SDNs opinion.

my cGPA is a 3.53 & sGPA is a 3.43. I know they are both a little low but they both have upward trends as I really struggled my freshman year of college. My sGPA for junior and senior year were 4.00 and 3.70, respectively. I was also able to make a 33 on my MCAT (10VR/11PS/12BS). In addition, I have applied very early. My AMCAS was verified 6/5 and my health committee letter has been in since 6/7. I'd love to know what you guys think!
Your stats seem to be OK except with your GPAs that are a little bit on the low side. If you apply to mid-to-low tier schools, you should get some interviews. However, if I were you, I would add a few DO to be on the safe side.

Don't apply unless you're absolutely sure you'd be okay with entering a D.O. school if all M.D. programs are to reject you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not saying I disagree but why do you say that?

Hi, SourD21. I think TriagePreMed is saying that you shouldn't apply DO if you aren't going to be happy going there if MD doesn't work out. Don't apply to schools you wouldn't want to attend even if they accepted you.

Not saying I disagree but why do you say that?
We've had a number of threads in the past where people apply to Osteopathic programs, end up being rejected everywhere that's MD, have an Osteopathic acceptance on hand, but they keep moaning about getting into MD and if they should reapply. They take away spots until the very last minute where they give it up or sometimes they are unhappy with their choice.

As for why I mentioned it to you in specific, it is because I don't feel you're actually interested in Osteopathic medicine. It seems clear it's a backup and might want to reapply another year before going to your second choice schooling.

Btw, I'm sorry TriagePreMed if it seemed rude that I was basically answering for you. I didn't mean it to come across like that. Your earlier comment that SourD21 was wondering about struck me because I've heard people who apply to both MD and DO say that so I just wanted to try to help. Your reply is much better, so I'm sorry if what I did was rude. :(

Btw, I'm sorry TriagePreMed if it seemed rude that I was basically answering for you. I didn't mean it to come across like that. Your earlier comment that SourD21 was wondering about struck me because I've heard people who apply to both MD and DO say that so I just wanted to try to help. Your reply is much better, so I'm sorry if what I did was rude. :(
No apologies needed. I didn't even notice you had replied. Probably happened as I was writing.