Sep 11, 2017
Graduated in 2015. My overall GPA was 3.14 in undergrad with a science GPA of 2.8. I retook some classes (the ones I got a C in) postbac in my local college but with grade replacement no longer a thing, my science GPA only went to 3.05 and my overall to 3.22. I took the MCAT during undergrad and received a 27. I do plan on retaking it if I am going to apply and will be studying a lot more than the first time.

Since freshman year of college, I have about 100 hours volunteering with 50 coming from a hospital. I also have 50 hours of shadowing physicians (both MD and DO). I have no research experience. Extracurricular activities were a few clubs (both medical and not) and some intramural sports. I went on a medical mission trip to a 3rd world country during undergrad as well.

Should I apply to DO schools next cycle or is there no hope for me? I do realize I'm nowhere near MD requirements so I would only focus on DO schools. And if I should apply, what do I focus on until next May? I know I need a better MCAT score and more volunteering/shadowing won't hurt.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You would be competitive for DO schools with a MCAT of 505 or higher. 505 is equivalent to 28 in the old MCAT . A score of 500 or higher may be OK for some of the newer schools. Include all these schools in your application:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM
any new schools that open for 2019 (there may be several).

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Graduated in 2015. My overall GPA was 3.14 in undergrad with a science GPA of 2.8. I retook some classes (the ones I got a C in) postbac in my local college but with grade replacement no longer a thing, my science GPA only went to 3.05 and my overall to 3.22. I took the MCAT during undergrad and received a 27. I do plan on retaking it if I am going to apply and will be studying a lot more than the first time.

Since freshman year of college, I have about 100 hours volunteering with 50 coming from a hospital. I also have 50 hours of shadowing physicians (both MD and DO). I have no research experience. Extracurricular activities were a few clubs (both medical and not) and some intramural sports. I went on a medical mission trip to a 3rd world country during undergrad as well.

Should I apply to DO schools next cycle or is there no hope for me? I do realize I'm nowhere near MD requirements so I would only focus on DO schools. And if I should apply, what do I focus on until next May? I know I need a better MCAT score and more volunteering/shadowing won't hurt.
Well you need a new MCAT regardless of your score as many schools no longer accept the pre 2015 MCAT. So that should be #1 for you.

Depending on how that goes you could apply DO and be successful.. but you also should significantly expand your clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering ETC.

About the Ads
OP
D
Sep 11, 2017
You would be competitive for DO schools with a MCAT of 505 or higher. 505 is equivalent to 28 in the old MCAT . A score of 500 or higher may be OK for some of the newer schools. Include all these schools in your application:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM
any new schools that open for 2019 (there may be several).

Thanks! This is super helpful

mc_bio19

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Virginia
I think you have a chance at DO schools, but you need to retake the MCAT and I highly suggest working on your extracurriculars. Your shadowing hours should be okay, but your clinical volunteer hours are a bit low.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Agree with Fahaa nd the other posts. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Be wary of schools with mandatory attendance policies.

Add LECOM tot he list

About the Ads