1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I apply to Georgetown? Do I have a chance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Altani, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Altani

Altani New Member

Hi everyone:

I have my georgetown secondary sitting on my desk and I am debating if I should apply to it or not. I attend MIT with a 3.0 GPA but my MCAT score is 8 8 8 Q.

My mother had worked in their union shop as a director for 35+ years.

So I don't know if I have a chance or not...what do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chloe5

chloe5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think you need to re-take the MCAT. G-town seems to be very big on numbers.
    best of luck

4. in the first place with ur stats u are pretty much gambling with all schools, unless u are (here we go...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )URM. I think georgetown is a top 50 school so they will want top candidates,if u have the money and u are willing to risk it, then i would encourage u to go ahead but not to be harsh, dont hold ur heart out, just pray!

good luck with ur appllications, and also reconsider taking the mcats again, especially with ur average gpa.

5. allan120

allan120 Member
    10+ Year Member

My two cents...

My stats are a little higher than yours (3.2 overall, 3.8 postbac, 3.95 the last two years, 37 mcat), but I'm an ORM (Asian male, ugh). My sister is an undergrad on academic scholarship at Georgetown and doing very well, with a good GPA and activities.

I received a rejection from Georgetown that was dated three days after they cashed my application check. Ouch.

Does your mom know anyone involved with admissions? Are you a URM? Do you have an extra $100 lying around? If the answer is yes to any of those questions, give it a shot.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.

6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I applied this year, and was rejected post-secondary.
    My stats:
    Ugrad: 3.4
    Grad: 3.7
    MCAT: 31

So unless they give you preference since your mother or sister are there, you're a URM, or have done something really fabulous (built the health care system of a medium-sized country), I don't think you stand much of a chance. On the other hand, if you really want to go to GT, by all means give it a shot.

7. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Have you asked this question of Dr. Mary Sullivan, the premedical advisor at MIT? Or did she already give you an answer you don't want to hear?

77 Massachusetts Ave #12-170
    617/253-8546
    FAX: 617/253-8457
    [email protected]

8. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish
    7+ Year Member

I would retake mcat...

usually if you have lower gpa...people try to offset that with higher mcat than the average mcat score the school accepts.

numbers aren't everything but they are a big part of the admissions process.

9. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey,

To be honest, I think you need to raise your GPA and retake the MCAT if Georgetown is where you want to go. Have you considered the schools in the caribbean? St George's?

10. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Canem,

That's a pretty cold statement. St. George?

If it helps, when I interviewed there were 3 MIT kids there (all biology).

Honestly though, unless you are really good at something, I would retake the MCAT with a 27.

11. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I prefer to answer honestly, rather than giving him/her the false impression that he/she has a chance at Georgetown w/o improving the GPA and MCAT. The truth is, St George's is one of the schools that does not require high numbers.

Oh, and how do you get an MCAT score of 27 from an 8, 8, 8??? Fuzzy math.

12. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

3.8 in your postbac; 37 MCAT?

Sheesh, if that's your idea of 'a little higher' stats than 3.0 and MCAT 24 then I'd like to see your idea of someone who did "okay". :p

A 37 MCAT is rockin'. It wasn't your stats that kept you from getting in, I don't think. But you'll land somewhere great, I've no doubt.

Good luck!

13. zer0el

zer0el Sports Junkie
    7+ Year Member

Hey SunnyS81, what day did you interview at G-town? I think I'm one of those 3 MIT kids you mentioned (interviewed on the 15th).

Altani, what dept. are you in? If you check out our premed website, it'll show you the stats of applicants who got in somewhere. A 3.0 is definitely not that bad. The 24 might hurt though, especially for G-town. Do you want to go to med school straight out of MIT?

14. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was at Georgetown on October 15.

And I apologize to the board for not being able to add or multiply.

15. applejuice1979

applejuice1979 Patiently Waiting Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Altani. I think you should speak to an admissions officer at Georgetown, not at your school, before sending in that $100. That person can help tell you what your chances are better than we can. They can also tell you if anyone in last year's class with similar stats to yours was accepted. Also, at almost every medical school people are accepted with 3.0 or less as well as MCAT 30 or less. Good luck!!!

P.S. Good job on that 3.0 from MIT! Tough feat!:D

16. whyadoctor?

whyadoctor? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MIT and a 24 on the MCAT? that seems somewhat contradictory. unless of course MIT isn't all that it's cracked up to be. maybe you should have gone to a state school, you might've gotten a better undergrad education.

17. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

Dude, just because a student attends an ivy does not mean s/he automatically does well on the MCAT..the MCAT is an exam with a twist...

Altani is asking for opinion not criticism.

Man, so much for empathetic future physicians...no wonder my prof said he'd rather die than go to some of the future physicians for help. And thank god for medical school INTERVIEWS.

Sheesh.:rolleyes:

18. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MIT is not an Ivy League school, albeit a very good one though.

19. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Isnt MIT on a 5.0 scale. A 3.0 on that wouldnt be too impressive so I would recommend building an alternative transcript (e.g. masters, post-bac) and retaking the MCAT.

Good luck to whatever you wish to do.

20. zer0el

zer0el Sports Junkie
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, MIT is on a 5.0 scale, but his 3.0 is probably the AMCAS-reported GPA.