Should I apply to med school this year or next year? Unique circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedGunner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all
i went to a community college and xfered to a UC. my gpa is a downward trend since starting at the uc. my major is very difficult. i dont want the downward trend to show that im not capable of handling university level coursework. my total cumulative gpa is 3.66 and my total science gpa is 3.63. Based on this information alone should i apply this year or wait till next year to see if i can get the gpa higher?
THANK YOU!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all
i went to a community college and xfered to a UC. my gpa is a downward trend since starting at the uc. my major is very difficult. i dont want the downward trend to show that im not capable of handling university level coursework. my total cumulative gpa is 3.66 and my total science gpa is 3.63. Based on this information alone should i apply this year or wait till next year to see if i can get the gpa higher?
THANK YOU!!!!

Based on this information alone it is impossible to determine what you should do. Take the MCAT and then ask again.

a significant downward trend can only be fixed with 1.5-3 years of upward to steady trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on that alone, wait a year.

I forgot to mention that the downward trend consists of last semester where i got a c, b, b+, b+. i usually get a's and b's. is this considered a downward trend?

I forgot to mention that the downward trend consists of last semester where i got a c, b, b+, b+. i usually get a's and b's. is this considered a downward trend?

1 weak semester won't do you in. If you manage a 32+ on the MCAT, you're good to go. 30-31 is a maybe. <30 would probably be wise to wait a year.

This is all assuming you're solid on research, clinical, volunteering, WHY MEDICINE, unique aspects, etc. If not, wait a year no matter what and remedy those deficiencies.

1 weak semester won't do you in. If you manage a 32+ on the MCAT, you're good to go. 30-31 is a maybe. <30 would probably be wise to wait a year.

This is all assuming you're solid on research, clinical, volunteering, WHY MEDICINE, unique aspects, etc. If not, wait a year no matter what and remedy those deficiencies.

a 30-31 isn't realistic for most applicants, you should only take the MCAT after having exhausted your opportunities for a higher GPA.

If you are from California (given that you mentioned transferring to a UC) the deck is stacked against you.

Having 2 years of university grades is going to reassure the adcom that you can handle the work and give you time to show that your first semester or so was a bump in the road and not a downhill slide to the bottom.

So, plan for a gap year of research or employment and meanwhile, kick your study skills and time management up a notch and bring your grades up to where they need to be.

If you are from California (given that you mentioned transferring to a UC) the deck is stacked against you.

Having 2 years of university grades is going to reassure the adcom that you can handle the work and give you time to show that your first semester or so was a bump in the road and not a downhill slide to the bottom.

So, plan for a gap year of research or employment and meanwhile, kick your study skills and time management up a notch and bring your grades up to where they need to be.

Agree.

Also OP, FWIW there is no real penalty for delaying the application process for a year or two, so long as you are doing something that enhances your stats or CV in the interval, so if there is any legitimate reason you might want to wait a year, the answer is always going to be, yes wait a year. There is no set time table for med school. The average age is 24+ and there are 30+ year olds in every med school these days. Doing postbacs and delaying 1-3 years after college is now pretty common. It not like the NFL draft here you might want to declare yourself for the draft a year early when your stats are optimal and before you injure yourself, rather than risk an off year -- you generally have more opportunities to enhance your stats with ECs, experiences, grade rehabilitation than you do in sabotaging yourself.

You still have a good GPA and it was just one semester. I think ppl are being a little too extreme. Besides the C, B's and B+'s aren't going to ruin your application. Get A's this semester and it'll help balance it towards your average GPA for the year... I really don't think one 3.0 semester with 3.6 average should require a postbacc/SMP are you kidding me?

You still have a good GPA and it was just one semester. I think ppl are being a little too extreme...

A lot if his prior credits are from a cc, so the drop off after transferring to a "real" college will give some places, particularly competitive ones, pause. I'm not suggesting a postbac here,, only indicating that people who take more time than 4 years of college before med school is now incredibly common. But if this guy puts together a string of similar semesters to this last one, then yes an SMP might be the necessary fix to show to schools that he can, in fact, handle the rigors of med school courses.

OP, your GPA is right on par with the average matriculant based on AAMC data (avg BCPM: 3.61 and average cumulative GPA: 3.67). I would focus on the MCAT because that will make or break you. also, work to bring your grades up this semester.