Should I apply to more schools then just my IS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roscar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at LSU and have already decided to become a 5th year senior (since I changed my major career choice halfway and still need to earn a majority of the prerequisites for vet school). There aren't as many prerequisites need for LSU in comparison to other vet schools apparently.
I have spoken to several people I know and they suggest that I just stick with LSU and not apply to any other schools.
Is this the right decision, since I have time to complete the extra classes anyway? And if I should apply to other schools- do you have any suggestions about which ones take the most people from OOS or just any you would recommend?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on whether you could (or would want to) take on the burden of OOS tuition costs. I applied OOS and got accepted, but ended up deciding on my IS.

So I reckon it really depends on how confident you are with getting into your IS / how many application cycles you might want to go through.

I just think it would make me nervous to only apply to one school! I applied to two, which isn't much better but still lets you feel like you have another chance if something doesn't go how you wanted it to. Taking extra classes, even if you end up not needing them and going to LSU, will just give you an extra boost when you get to vet school having seen some of the information already! So in my opinion, you don't need to go crazy and apply 10 places, but it would make me nervous to only have one shot. I don't know much about OOS acceptance rates, I just applied to my in state and Auburn (my undergrad school).

ps. Just because you go to LSU, War Eagle! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you're willing to attend OOS, and you do have time to take the additional prereqs before applications are due, then by all means, apply to multiple schools! But if you wouldn't go elsewhere no matter what, or you won't have the prereqs for the other schools by summer 2011, then I'd say apply just to LSU. I only applied to my IS last year because I didn't have prereqs for anywhere else, and it worked out, but had I not gotten in then you bet I would've scattered applications around quite liberally this year.

Its probably worth looking at all the school's pre-reqs, and seeing where you could apply with minimal effort in addition to your IS (I ruled out schools that required a full year of organic chemistry, for example). Apply where you'd be willing to go. I ended up getting rejected from my IS, and accepted by 2 OOS schools, so I think its definitely worth applying more than one place.

I'd say in terms of getting in, it's a bit risky to apply only to one school because of how unpredictable vet school admissions are.
That being said many people can't of apply/go OOS because of many different factors: money and family seem to be the biggest factors.
If you are willing to go OOS then it will help your chances applying to those schools that accept a lot of OOS students.
In any case, I would do research about individual schools before coming to a decision.

i applied and was accepted to both OOS and IS. but when it came down to it, i couldn't handle the OOS tuition. my advice is to apply to both your IS and OOS schools that let you obtain IS status after your first year, therefor allowing you to pay IS tuition the last 3 years. this wouldn't be such a huge financial burden. if money isn't a problem, then applying to the more schools, the better as it definitely increases your chances for acceptance.

i applied and was accepted to both OOS and IS. but when it came down to it, i couldn't handle the OOS tuition. my advice is to apply to both your IS and OOS schools that let you obtain IS status after your first year, therefor allowing you to pay IS tuition the last 3 years. this wouldn't be such a huge financial burden. if money isn't a problem, then applying to the more schools, the better as it definitely increases your chances for acceptance.

Quoted because it bears repeating. :laugh: When it comes down to it money is the kicker.

I only applied to my in-state. And it worked out fine.

Just like everyone is saying- it was mostly a financial issue. I knew I couldn't justify the OOS costs. Don't apply to OOS schools unless you're actually willing to go...

I applied to my IS and 3 OOS. I did this to increase my chances.

This may not always work out like this, but I had all 3 of my OOS interviews before my IS interview. Thus, by the time I got to my IS interview, I felt like a pro.

Plus, by the time of my IS interview, I already knew I had been accepted somewhere, so it took a lot of pressure off and I was able to relax and enjoy myself more. Maybe it helped, maybe not, but it was definitely nice to not have my first interview be my most important one.

I think applying to OOS schools as well is fine. I had two OOS interviews before my IS interview and it really helped me prepare for it. I feel like my last (IS) interview went the best and that's where I got in. It's also nice to keep your options open. I would apply anywhere that you are interested in going.

haha now after reading all the posts, I totally agree with that70sfan11. I felt exactly the same about interviews.

I only applied to my in state and was accepted. I loved the school and knew even if I was accepted out of state I would most likely decline and try again next year for my in state school anyway so why waste everyone's time?

Plus, it only cost me about $300 total to apply (including my GRE) as opposed to the thousands some of my friends spent.

Only apply to schools that you are willing to attend. IE, don't apply to OOS then find that is your only acceptance and have to agonize about attending, and have to risk reapplying with a rejected acceptance on record. So, really consider whether you can/will relocate, can handle the costs and are ok with the curriculem before applying to each school.

I was strongly considering only applying to my IS. I knew all the arguments: expensive OOS tuition, best chance getting into your IS, wont go anywhere else even if you do get accepted IS but I stuck to my guns and applied to 4 OOS schools.

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE

Did not get into my IS and I was a *fairly* competitive applicant.

Luckily I got an OOS acceptance and will be going there even though it is $$$$.

Honestly I don't have another acceptance cycle in me and am not sure at this point I would EVER get into my IS.

Just something to think about....

My advice would be to not put all your eggs in one basket;) unless you are extremely confident. Even still, people with great stats sometimes don't get accepted to their IS but get accepted OS. It just depends on if you're willing to pay OS tuition if you get accepted elsewhere besides your IS

I agree with a lot of what's already been said, and I think this decision is a very personal one, dependent on a lot of different factors. I chose to only apply to my IS school this cycle, and it worked out for me. With that said, I knew very well going in that I was decreasing my chances of getting in this cycle. My IS school also happens to be my dream school, and with that as well as the IS tuition cost I decided that for me, it was worth the risk for this application cycle. I think there's nothing wrong with applying to only your IS, as long as you have taken the time to consider and accept the possible consequences of this decision. But I also think there is nothing wrong with applying to OOS schools or even international schools as well, and this works out for a lot of people! Good luck with whatever you decide!