Should I apply to more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaseafterthedream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already applied to Midwestern-IL, ASDOH, VCU, UIC, LECOM, Detroit Mercy, SIU, and Midwestern-AZ (rejected right away). This is my fourth cycle and I haven't heard anything so far besides the rejection. I know some of these schools haven't sent out invites yet but I'm still nervous.

My stats-
DAT: AA19, PAT20, TS19 (already taken 3x, the first I was woefully unprepared for and just winged it)
Undergrad GPA: 2.66
Graduate GPA: 3.97
Overall: 2.84
250+ "dental experience"/shadowing hours
100+ volunteer hours
Research
4 years working as a dental assistant
Coronal Polishing/Pit Fissure Sealant certified

Yes, I know my undergrad wasn't impressive but that is why I did the masters. I am unable to take my DAT again, and even if I did it would be too late.

If you think I should add some schools, suggestions on which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Also forgot to mention that I interviewed and was waitlisted at UIC the past two cycles but never recieved interviews elsewhere.

Why did you take it the first time if you were unprepared?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're applying to too few schools with a 19. Sure your Masters is nearly a 4.0, but your DAT is below average. I hope you applied early this cycle to the 7 schools you're waiting on...

If you don't want to reapply for a fifth time, I'd add private schools since they are less likely to be picky with stats. Unfortunately, those would be schools like NYU, USC, and others like Case, MOSDOH, etc. To pick those privates, look at their location and their cost, and apply to them asap. I'd probably add like 5-6 more schools to avoid reapplying.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you're applying to too few schools with a 19. Sure your Masters is nearly a 4.0, but your DAT is below average. I hope you applied early this cycle to the 7 schools you're waiting on...

If you don't want to reapply for a fifth time, I'd add private schools since they are less likely to be picky with stats. Unfortunately, those would be schools like NYU, USC, and others like Case, MOSDOH, etc. To pick those privates, look at their location and their cost, and apply to them asap. I'd probably add like 5-6 more schools to avoid reapplying.

First time I hear a 19 AA is below average.

Your grad GPA shows a super upwards trend! What masters program did you do?

did you get rejected from Midwestern IL in your previous cycles? because I thought they loved masters in biomed science students..
My first cycle I got rejected right away because I was still in undergrad and didnt meet the GPA cutoff. The next 2 I didnt apply there because of cutoff, I didn't want to get rejected right away again. Finally applied again this cycle and found out I meet the minimum requirement and am now waiting to hear from them. You just gave me extra hope about this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely add more schools to your app. Maybe tufts, UNE and Roseman to start. I like that your stats show commitment. Apply as broadly as you can afford right now. Good luck