Should I apply to more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDent2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should apply to a few more schools. The schools I am applying to and my DAT scores/GPA are located on my predents profile -the link under my name. I am not applying to any private schools, but I was thinking about adding one or two because there is no discrimination between in-state/out-of-state. I am a NC resident so Chapel Hill is my only in-state school. I have family in NY, so I will be able to get in-state after my first year at Buffalo and StonyBrook. All the schools I am applying to take a decent percentage out-of-staters except Maryland, but I am still worried that maybe I should apply to a private school or two as a back-up plan. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any one have any advice?

Last edited:
Come on, lol. I help so many people out with their posts and always leave my advice on similar threads. I know someone out there is in a similar predicament.

Any one have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously your GPA and DAT scores are awesome so you seem like a pretty good candidate.

But, the more schools the more chance. You are pretty young so trying again next year is always an option if things don't work out, although from the looks of your profile they probably will.

If you just want to cover your bases I'd toss on another 3 schools. A couple hundred bucks more is well worth it to save yourself from having to do this all again next year.

BTW: I'm a non-traditional applicant with much lower stats than yours and I'm going all in on this one - applied to 27 schools. One of them has got to want me :)

Good luck!

Throw in Creighton if you are looking at private schools. They accept a lot of out-of-state residents, and it is in a location that is not popular to most people (Omaha, Nebraska, people are terrified of tornadoes) If you want to add a public school, Indiana is a good choice as well. Tennessee would not be a bad choice, considering it is next to No. Carolina, the only problem with Tennessee is that you have to do a completely different application because they are not part of AADSAS.

your stats are awesome!! I don't think you will have any problem getting into your in-state school. I don't think you need to apply to more, but if it makes you feel any better go ahead and add creighton or case. Good luck!