Should I apply to out of state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to both of my state schools, U of L and UK and was considering applying to some out of state schools. I would really rather stay in state, the only way I would go out of state was if I were not accepted to either of the state schools. I feel like I have a solid app 3.94 BCP, 3.86 other science, 3.76 cum gpa, and an AA/22 TS/22 PAT/19. I think the instate students last year had an AA of 17 and gpa of less than 3.5. What do you guys think? I really don't want to spend more money applying or going to school than I need to.

Members don't see this ad.

as a back up i would apply to 2 or 3 more schools...there is no way that your state school turns you down...unless you do something horrible like f up the interview...but just to be on the safe side apply to 2 or 3 more schools that are out of state friendly....doc toothache has a list somewhere.

Exactly, there's no reason to hurt your chances by not applying to more schools. Look to the private schools for not really caring if you're out of state or not. With your stats you'll have a really good shot at being accepted in state, but I've seen people with near 4.0's and high DAT's get rejected from schools for no apparent reason. So in summary, the extra cash would be really worth it to apply to 2-5 more schools. Look at Pitt, Columbia, USC, Tufts, NYU, etc, I'm pretty sure those are all private schools. Well... Pitt is "private but publicly funded," but they still take lots of out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you are probably right. I should do a little research because my wife is an MD and it is going to be equally important if not more important to choose somewhere she can easily find a job. That is another reason I want to stay in state. What about Meharry, it is really close to me and a private school, I am a white male. I also thought about Indiana.

Yeah you are probably right. I should do a little research because my wife is an MD and it is going to be equally important if not more important to choose somewhere she can easily find a job. That is another reason I want to stay in state. What about Meharry, it is really close to me and a private school, I am a white male. I also thought about Indiana.

With your stats I'd say it might be possible to get into Meharry. Call them and talk to them, but be sure to not sound like the only reason you want to go there is proximity. They're a Traditionally Black school, and their mission is to promote URM education, but that doesn't mean you don't have a chance.

I actually do plan to go back to an under served area when I am done. I did have a DAT score sent to them, but I have not yet sent the aadsas application to them.