Should I apply to Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy0311

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm alittle hesitant in applying. If there is a residency shortage then is it worth the risk? Also it seems that the profession is not well recognized and is struggling. As a Podiatrist will I get to see many patients or will i be struggling to find patients who rather see an orthopedist?

Members don't see this ad.

These are very "green" questions. You can do a generic search and prob find all your answers. To answer you question specifically, it depends on if you want to be a podiatrist or not. You have to first get in and second pass the requirements before you can even start thinking about things like patient load and struggling.

Optometry has some of the same issues. And alot of people might only want to go to a opthamologist. Make sure you REALLY like the job before jumping in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm alittle hesitant in applying. If there is a residency shortage then is it worth the risk? Also it seems that the profession is not well recognized and is struggling. As a Podiatrist will I get to see many patients or will i be struggling to find patients who rather see an orthopedist?

Why?

At this time, I suspect you didn't get into an MD school? or something of that sort?

Listen, if Pod is your back up, think really carefully. DOn't think, OH NO WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NEXT YEAR? Do a post-bacc, take classes, study for MCAT and retake it. Honestly, an extra year in the scope of your life is NOTHING!

My cousin was in the same boat, for dental school, I told him the same thing. DON'T! He took that year and did a Kaplan prep for DAT and took 2 courses at a local college and got into his first choice the next round. He couldn't be any happier! He visited me a few times and saw me work and he basically said that he could see himself doing feet all day but it would just be a job and not a passion and he would always wonder.. If i only tried again...

SO don't do Pod if you are just afraid of the future. (I know a world renowned doctor who didn't get his MD until he was 33! yes 33! now he is a leader in his field!)

You've asked some legitimate questions. I'll first just back up what others have said. Make sure Podiatry is something you'll enjoy.

If it is something you'll enjoy, and you have enough drive and determination to get through school, go for it. By the time you're finished with school there may or may not be a residency shortage. Most likely if residencies are still an issue when you graduate, it will only be the a few people who aren't getting them and a lot of the people who don't get the residencies will have eliminated themselves due to poor grades, no social skills, not passing boards etc.

Find something you like to do, work hard, stay optimistic that eventually things will work out. They usually do.

All good points on here.

Also, ask yourself this... can you hack it? Yes we all want to think we will be the top .00001% of our class with a first time board pass score so amazing, our school will frame it over the admissions office for all to see.

Because if you can't hack it, there won't be any residency seat for you. I don't know why so many students expect a garenteed residency. They are now all surgical so if you can't get first board pass and are in the bottom of your class, then for the sake of this proffession, I don't think those students SHOULD get residency!

All good points on here.

Also, ask yourself this... can you hack it? Yes we all want to think we will be the top .00001% of our class with a first time board pass score so amazing, our school will frame it over the admissions office for all to see.

Because if you can't hack it, there won't be any residency seat for you. I don't know why so many students expect a garenteed residency. They are now all surgical so if you can't get first board pass and are in the bottom of your class, then for the sake of this proffession, I don't think those students SHOULD get residency!
Good point. For YOU and the profession, make sure you can handle it. Getting stuck without a residency wouldn't be fun after 4 grueling years of school.