Should I apply to schools that tend to accept graduates of my college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate school compiles data from previous applicants, and advises us to apply to the medical schools that have previously accepted many graduates of my undergraduate school. I was just wondering if you guys think this means anything - do Medical School admissions committees tend to favor students from certain undergraduate colleges year after year? Should I apply to schools that have tended to accept many graduates of my undergraduate college?

Members don't see this ad.

I just was unsure if this had any significance. Maybe it's just by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergraduate school compiles data from previous applicants, and advises us to apply to the medical schools that have previously accepted many graduates of my undergraduate school. I was just wondering if you guys think this means anything - do Medical School admissions committees tend to favor students from certain undergraduate colleges year after year? Should I apply to schools that have tended to accept many graduates of my undergraduate college?

No, adcoms will see this as taking the easy way out, which is a sign of weakness and poor character. You should limit yourself to only schools that have never taken a single person from your undergraduate institution. Public OOS and top ranked private schools are great places to begin your search.

This trailblazing mentality will really set you apart.

tumblr_m7akaw3FVR1qa4cm6o1_500.jpg

No, adcoms will see this as taking the easy way out, which is a sign of weakness and poor character. You should limit yourself to only schools that have never taken a single person from your undergraduate institution. Public OOS and top ranked private schools are great places to begin your search.

This trailblazing mentality will really set you apart.

tumblr_m7akaw3FVR1qa4cm6o1_500.jpg

trailblazing = sitting behind fowl smelling oxen and eating duck you shot 4 mo. ago, which has been sitting out in the air....

tread carefully, OP, tread carefully (especially across the rivers....)

Also as a silly note. If you are applying to an in-state medical school from an in-state university then I would imagine that the number would be rather high.