Should I apply to Texas Schools (Out of State)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaopua

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just took my DAT today and did well enough to the point where I think I can start consider applying to one or two more competitive schools.

I just want to get in somewhere cheap where cost of living is cheap. If they have an MBA program, that'd be a bonus. I was looking at Texas schools but know they don't accept hardly any OOS applicants but they're just so affordable. Also, if anyone else can think of a school I might want to consider I'd be much obliged. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.83

PAT: 23
TS: 25
AA: 26

Applying from Hawaii
Race: Hawaiian

Great XCs, shadowing, exposure, and research

Schools currently applying to:

Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry (OHSU)
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)
University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine (CONN)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry (OKL)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (MQT)
University of Washington School of Dentistry (WASH)
University of Utah School of Dentistry (UTAH)
University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine (COL)
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry (UCSF)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (MICH)
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to get in somewhere cheap where cost of living is cheap.
My advice, take the military HPSP and don’t worry about the finances and go wherever you want. Don’t want to make the military a career? Great, don’t. Get out after your payback and you’ll then have the GI Bill to fund a specialty residency or MBA if that’s your goal. Best of luck to you.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your stats certainly look competitive, so I think you should definitely give the Texas schools a shot.

Reiterating the sage advice of @Big Time Hoosier - seriously consider HPSP. The benefits are crazy awesome, and I feel like I’m discovering new ones every day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, with your stats it's definitely worth the shot. Additionally, I read your whole DMD/MBA post - with that in mind, I think you should take of LECOM and add UoP. You seem to be extremely motivated to get working ASAP and to start down the business side of dentistry. UoP would allow you to shave off a year from your DMD/MBA.

Your stats certainly look competitive, so I think you should definitely give the Texas schools a shot.

Reiterating the sage advice of @Big Time Hoosier - seriously consider HPSP. The benefits are crazy awesome, and I feel like I’m discovering new ones every day.
My advice, take the military HPSP and don’t worry about the finances and go wherever you want. Don’t want to make the military a career? Great, don’t. Get out after your payback and you’ll then have the GI Bill to fund a specialty residency or MBA if that’s your goal. Best of luck to you.

Big Hoss

I appreciate the advice. I just really wanna get out into private dentistry as quickly as possible and provided I can minimize my debt, Id rather take on a little to begin building my first practice a couple years earlier.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, with your stats it's definitely worth the shot. Additionally, I read your whole DMD/MBA post - with that in mind, I think you should take of LECOM and add UoP. You seem to be extremely motivated to get working ASAP and to start down the business side of dentistry. UoP would allow you to shave off a year from your DMD/MBA.
I should probably sit down and do the spreadsheet myself but I've heard that the high cost of UoP puts you behind financially even though you graduate a year early relative to cheaper 4 year schools.

LECOM is surprisingly affordable and from what I can tell cost of living in the area isn't too bad.

I really appreciate the comment

I appreciate the advice. I just really wanna get out into private dentistry as quickly as possible and provided I can minimize my debt, Id rather take on a little to begin building my first practice a couple years earlier.

Go to UoP on the HPSP. 3 years dental school + 3 years payback = all said and done in just 6 years. That’s what I wish I had done. Would have saved 2 years. Then, use the GI Bill to pay for your EMBA at that point. You’re welcome.

Big Hoss

Go to UoP on the HPSP. 3 years dental school + 3 years payback = all said and done in just 6 years. That’s what I wish I had done. Would have saved 2 years. Then, use the GI Bill to pay for your EMBA at that point. You’re welcome.

Big Hoss
First of Hoss, I really appreciate your response.

My father is a general dentist, pretty successful. Owns his own $2M+ practice. He's convinced that I'd do better just going to a cheap school like UNLV or Texas and then working with him because he could get me to a place where I can be really advanced and efficient clinically.

His main concern is that army and public health (he did a 4 yr Native Hawaiian health scholarship year-for-year) don't get you ready clinically to be a really efficient producer. He felt like his classmates that just took the debt had a leg up bc while he was working laxidasically (sp?) at the community health center, they were working on building their own practices and developing their skills so that they could keep up with the pace of private dentistry.

I think UoP + HPSP makes total sense but he really is advising me against it. What is your take on his concerns? Any branch of the military you'd recommend in particular?

Last edited:
Well, it looks like you already have a hookup. But, the HPSP is still worth looking at.

I’m pretty sure the Air Force requires you to do a GPR/AEGD and that year does not count towards your payback. So, if you’re wanting to get in and out as quickly as possible I’d go Army or Navy. Between those two, I’d go Navy. But, I’m a bit biased there.

At least you have your head on straight and you want to go to the cheapest school possible, rather than some “prestigious” school. So, good work there.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users