Should I apply to UCLA?!? Can't decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beccaluvdental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If English is your second language and you have to take TOEFL or some other English language proficiency exam, you are more than fine. Your GPA is stellar. You won't be ignored by UCLA because you have a 3.7 and their average is a 3.8. Send in your application ASAP!

If you have the extra dough, sure! You can't predict whether you'll be rejected or accepted, that's their job

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I have submitted my first round choices, but still thinking about applying to more schools, and now can't decide if I should apply UCLA. I know it's pretty competitive and is a state school.
I attended undergrad in CA (transferred from CC to UC) and I'm an international student. I got pretty high AA and TS but pretty low RC (below 17). My gpa is 3.7ish, have ECs and research and work experience. I know UCLA avg gpa is around 3.85. Really concern the CC and international background as well as low RC will hurt my application. Plus, it's not that early in the cycle.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

I say apply! All of your stats are excellent, except for the low RC. Regardless, everyone has some sort of weakness on their application, but it's usually offset by their many strengths. Give it a shot! You'll never know unless you apply!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How much below 17 is your RC? Honestly anything below that would be a pretty big barrier to overcome for LA because that's an important section, but perhaps they have leniency for international students. It's not early in the cycle but UCLA is slow so if you did apply now I don't think it'd be a huge problem.

Just be aware that international students are on the back of the list for who gets accepted. Preference goes to California students first, then OOS, then international. So the international student has to be stellar to get considered.

If English is your second language and you have to take TOEFL or some other English language proficiency exam, you are more than fine. Your GPA is stellar. You won't be ignored by UCLA because you have a 3.7 and their average is a 3.8. Send in your application ASAP!
Not always. Many schools say they require TOEFL from ESLers but if you went to school here as an undergrad, then they don't require a TOEFL score. I checked many schools since English is my second language but I'm fluent in it and when I checked the requirements, all the schools I applied to didn't require it as long as applicants got their undergrad degree here in the states.