Should I apply with these stats, or take MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainsforlunch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate your input on what my best chances are.

I'm in my last semester and my overall GPA is 3.77.
MCAT: 32S with 11V 12B 9 PS
I have volunteered at three clinics during college for various positions, for at least 6 months to over a year. Also volunteer at Alzheimer day center.
Three years of research, honors thesis, working on a publication.
Tutor for a year
Fencing team for 2 years

I took Princeton Review so I could take the class again for free if I needed to. I really don't want to take the MCAT again, but the score seems pretty average.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have volunteered at three clinics during college for various positions, for at least 6 months to over a year. Also volunteer at Alzheimer day center.
Tutor for a year
Fencing team for 2 years

I took Princeton Review so I could take the class again for free if I needed to. I really don't want to take the MCAT again, but the score seems pretty average.

Advice?
Definitely apply now. I would not worry about your MCAT score. It may not reflect your own perceptions about how much better you could have done, but it's still a good score. Think about how 85 percent of the testing population wishes to have done as well. From what you've provided it sounds like you're a good candidate across the board. Your acceptance into med school will probably hinge on your PS, interviewing skills and maturity. Focus on those and put the MCAT behind you.

Apply broadly and I think you'll be happy you did so when the interviews start rolling in. Best of luck

Your MCAT is fine; definitely apply right now. People with an MCAT as high as yours have almost as good of a chance of lowering their score on the retake as they do raising it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. APPLY NOW (well, in June of course) and don't look back. If you write for the mcat again, who knows if your score will increase or decrease? Don't take that chance. You have good stats, so apply early. Unless, if you're going for top ivy med schools (harvard, upenn, washu, columbia, johns hopkins), then don't take the exam again.

Tutor for a year
Fencing team for 2 years

Advice?

You are fine. Your GPA is more average than your MCAT..and both are enough to get you in somewhere. Unless you wanna go to harvard who cares..get in med school and become the best damn doctor out there bud

If you don't care about getting into a top-tier school (which may still be possible anyway!), then absolutely apply now.

Make sure to apply on the first day.