Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolenurse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to hear thoughts on whether I should apply this year or retake MCAT and apply next year. Let me preface this by saying I didn't study for MCAT at all, I just took it. I work four 12 hour shifts a week as a nurse and go to school two days a week finishing prereqs (I take biochem next semester). I honestly didn't have the time to devote to hardcore studying so I decided I would just take it and apply if I thought my scores gave me a chance to get in somewhere. My scores were as follows:

Physical - 125 CARS - 130 Bio - 124 Psych - 125 Total - 504 (64%)
Cumulative GPA 3.93 Science GPA 4.0

Obviously I'm confident I could study for a few months and significantly improve my science scores but I'd rather not delay applying for an entire year if I could potentially get in with my current scores. Any thoughts? They are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to hear thoughts on whether I should apply this year or retake MCAT and apply next year. Let me preface this by saying I didn't study for MCAT at all, I just took it. I work four 12 hour shifts a week as a nurse and go to school two days a week finishing prereqs (I take biochem next semester). I honestly didn't have the time to devote to hardcore studying so I decided I would just take it and apply if I thought my scores gave me a chance to get in somewhere. My scores were as follows:

Obviously I'm confident I could study for a few months and significantly improve my science scores but I'd rather not delay applying for an entire year if I could potentially get in with my current scores. Any thoughts? They are much appreciated.

If you haven't submitted your primary and have been verified already it is way to late to apply this cycle. It is probably best to study aim for at around 510 and you'll have a good chance next cycle. But that's just my opinion. You might be able to still apply this cycle to some DO schools if you are really in a hurry to rush into medical school.

I recommend Altius Test Prep. Their website has what's called Ten Indicators of Success, which are guidelines on what to do in the prep course if you want a high MCAT score. So they're not advertising "You can buy a high MCAT score through us". They are telling you what's expected of you to get a high MCAT before you even enroll/purchase their course. Also, they come at 4 levels, bronze, silver, gold, premium. You can start at lower levels like silver and pay for an upgrade if you think you need it. There is no additional fee. You just pay the difference, so they aren't price gouging you. You have a small bi-weekly group sessions until December and it becomes weekly after that until May. They also assign you a 1 on 1 tutor/mentor to track your progress and provide you with guidance tailored to your specific needs.

i don't mean to be harsh but you shouldn't have taken the test with no studying. that was a waste of money and now your scores will be averaged.

as everyone else said, its too late to apply. make sure to study this time because you will need a stellar score to get an average good enough for MD. your gpa will help you a lot

EDIT: you didn't specify if you want DO or MD. it may not be too late for DO, and with that GPA + MCAT, you definitely have a good chance of getting in somewhere.