Should I Apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bk9iq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am 7/6er ... Just got my scores back... Very disappointed :(
I got:
PS 11
VR 5 !!!
BS 10
======= 26 M
Very Bad .... I will be retaking in January but my question is ::
Should I even bother applying for this cycle with this terrible score??

English is my second language and my GPA is 3.92 ...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I got:
PS 11
VR 5 !!!
BS 10
======= 26 M

Thanks

I would not apply this cycle with a 5 in verbal. Many schools will not consider your application seriously because of the verbal score, regardless of whether English is your first language or not.

If you take a few months and really focus on verbal, you should definitely be able to bring it up to a 9 or 10 at least. That would make your application much more competitive overall.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I got:
PS 11
VR 5 !!!
BS 10
======= 26 M

Thanks

I think it all depends on where you want to go school. For some medical schools(Maybe state schools) your MCAT and GPA can be competitive. Also, if you are thinking about whether allopathic or osteopathic schools as well. Your numbers seem to be pretty good and you may want to consider perhaps taking in September with intense review/practice with the verbal section, as you seem to be doing pretty well with your science sections.

Thank you so much for your responses ...
I still don't know what to do ... I want to get into any medical school (MD) in Pennsylvania...
I feel soooo bad :( :( and my score is super terrible because of VR ... what can I do ... I came to the US 3 years ago.. that's my level of English right now obviously and the problem is that I don't guarantee that I will improve much in one year,,,, ughhh looks like no Med School for me ....

I would wait a cycle. No sense in wasting the money on this one.

5 will get you screened out, and will be a major setback regardless.

If you are ESL and you want to go to medical school in the US it's a necessity you understand the language. If not then try a different country for schooling.

I highly doubt you will get into an MD school in PA with a 5 in verbal, unless you are URM and have a ton going for you EC wise.

Study for verbal in January starting now, and I'm sure you can boost your score a considerable amount.