Should I ask a professor I don't really know for a recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I missed my chance for using my school's committee letter, but I'm kind of relieved because I've heard they're really nit-picky and have written not-so-nice things about some students.

But anyways, I took a senior-level (aka 4000 level/upper-level) Biology class with a really cool professor, and I legitimately liked the subject material a lot. It was basically about pathogenic bacteria and a little bit about the immune system, too. I studied and worked hard, got my A and got an A in the 1-credit lab also.

However, I never really went to office hours, except to make up an exam that I had to miss for an excused purpose. Otherwise, he might not really know me, but I know that that was an actual hard class that many others struggled with. It wasn't an easy A or anything and required a LOT of work.

I need a Biology professor to write me a letter. Should I ask him? Or would that be weird/not acceptable since he doesn't know me well? If I asked him, I'd obviously send him a resume or personal statement or something like that and tell him about myself and future plans.

And I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I honestly don't know how this works.

Members don't see this ad.

He might not even write one for you then.

So, I missed my chance for using my school's committee letter, but I'm kind of relieved because I've heard they're really nit-picky and have written not-so-nice things about some students.

But anyways, I took a senior-level (aka 4000 level/upper-level) Biology class with a really cool professor, and I legitimately liked the subject material a lot. It was basically about pathogenic bacteria and a little bit about the immune system, too. I studied and worked hard, got my A and got an A in the 1-credit lab also.

However, I never really went to office hours, except to make up an exam that I had to miss for an excused purpose. Otherwise, he might not really know me, but I know that that was an actual hard class that many others struggled with. It wasn't an easy A or anything and required a LOT of work.

I need a Biology professor to write me a letter. Should I ask him? Or would that be weird/not acceptable since he doesn't know me well? If I asked him, I'd obviously send him a resume or personal statement or something like that and tell him about myself and future plans.

And I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I honestly don't know how this works.

send in your resume and a few paragraph expressing your interest in dentistry.

if you have no other writers, what other option you have?

just be confident and ask him even though he doesnt know you that well. In my experience, most writers who take time to write and submit don't write negative things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should give it a shot considering that you got an A in the class. If you give him a resume, tell him your future plans and what you need the recommendation letter for I'm sure that he'll agree to write one.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna end up asking for one and go ahead and start preparing a resume or something. I really wish I got to know him more since he was really cool and I really liked his class, but the past is the past. I'll probably ask him next week and let him know that he has about a month or so to complete it since the dental apps open June 2.