Should I ask for a deferment and apply the upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingtogetintomedschool

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I have just learned of what deferment is today, and have been advised to do so considering my situation.
(524 MCAT,
3.6cGPA,
around 3.5 sGPA,
strong upward trend from a 2.0 1st sem freshman year, all A's with one D in a non-science class which i retook for an A.

2 semesters medically withdrawn due to illness, - i was not able to study or do anything besides online EC's

I will graduate in december, maybe May 2021, but i have no idea whether to wait or apply. What exactly are deferments and is that advisable?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think deferments are?
Deferments are sometimes(not often) granted to a person who has been accepted to a med school(or any other school) so that person can go do something else for a year. The reason for deferring is usually a once in a lifetime opportunity .

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have just learned of what deferment is today, and have been advised to do so considering my situation.
(524 MCAT,
3.6cGPA,
around 3.5 sGPA,
strong upward trend from a 2.0 1st sem freshman year, all A's with one D in a non-science class which i retook for an A.

2 semesters medically withdrawn due to illness, - i was not able to study or do anything besides online EC's

I will graduate in december, maybe May 2021, but i have no idea whether to wait or apply. What exactly are deferments and is that advisable?
Regardless of what you think a deferment is, it is a mechanism to allow you to delay entry for one or two years, AFTER acceptance, to accommodate a sudden change in circumstance, or a last minute, once in a lifetime opportunity. As stated on a different thread, they are granted on a case by case basis, and are far from guaranteed.

If you know you will not be able to enroll next year, it would be foolish to put yourself through the process now, counting on a deferment later that might or might not come. Schools are in the business of filling classes one year at a time, not building a pipeline of matriculants several years out through the liberal use of admissions and deferments. From your post, it sounds like you are just going to be a regular applicant next year for admission in 2022. Why would you want to defer? Or am I missing something???

Reactions: 1 user
What do you think deferments are?
Deferments are sometimes(not often) granted to a person who has been accepted to a med school(or any other school) so that person can go do something else for a year. The reason for deferring is usually a once in a lifetime opportunity .
Deferments can also be given for illness or family emergencies.
Beginning to worry that the OP is trolling us, as these two threads have a lot of overlap, down to the near identical MCAT scores and the massive upward trends.

and from another post:
Hi Goro! Im not applying now, but in future. MCAT: 521, sGPA: 3.7777, cGPA: 3.63 (2 semesters of my undergrad experience have been withdrawn since I was diagnosed w cancer and receiving chemotherapy & couldnt handle coursework. I have good clinical volunteering hours & shadowing but ZERO research experience. What are your general thoughts on this? Could i potentially get into maybe Baylor?

Reactions: 1 users
Someone who can score a 524 can google what a deferment is. Move on, troll.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
:troll:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.