Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Should I ask for letters of rec now, even though I won't be applying until next cycle?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by magagna, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. magagna

magagna 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 01.18.15
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. shiftingmirage

shiftingmirage 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would mention it now. Memories fade. He/she may decide to write it now and save it until next year, or wait for you to approach them again. It's super easy to change the date on a letter to reflect when it is submitted. IMO, I would mention it sooner rather than later.

4. MedWonk

MedWonk 高飛車 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's not a bad idea. I started asking for them in October the year before I applied. Your professors are busy people and you're not the only one asking, so you should get started early and have the idea floating around so they are at least aware. Just don't pester them constantly about it.

5. Sabate

Sabate Wingnut 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Its definitely helpful to get letters while the professors/doctors you've worked with still remember you well and can write a stronger letter. The only concern is if you apply with only letters from several years ago (and interviewers will ask what you've been up to since then). One year won't make a difference for the application.

6. magagna

magagna 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 01.18.15

About the ads