Should I ask my professor for a LOR even though I got a B- in the class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saren99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently wrapping up the first semester of my post-bac program. When my classes first began I had a hard time completing my exams on time and as a result I did poorly on my first wave of exams. I have always struggled with anxiety, but this is the first time that it has ever had a detrimental effect on my education. After meeting with disability services at my school and the cooperation of my therapist I was granted additional time on my exams. In addition, I started attending weekly one on one zoom meetings with my professor and found a tutor. Since making these changes I have done SO much better in my classes, literally going from a 56 average to a 90 on my most recent exam. But, despite this increase in scores it's looking like I will only be able to bring my histology grade up to a B-.

Now that you have this background, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask for a recommendation letter despite my low grade in the class? She knows all of the ins and outs of my situation and has met with me weekly. Do you think it would help my application to have a recommendation letter from her? And would it hurt me to have her talk about how I struggled in the beginning of the semester?

Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I would speak to the professor and ask whether, given your unique circumstances, she would feel comfortable writing an excellent recommendation highlighting that you worked hard and were ultimately able to overcome the obstacles in your path. Of course, this could work out well, but it also runs the risk of highlighting certain negatives. If I were in your shoes, I would ask for the recommendation, but also keep pursuing others. At the end of the day, if I felt that I had a sufficient number of truly excellent recommendations (with no asterisks), I would not send this recommendation, but if I needed it, I would sent it.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently wrapping up the first semester of my post-bac program. When my classes first began I had a hard time completing my exams on time and as a result I did poorly on my first wave of exams. I have always struggled with anxiety, but this is the first time that it has ever had a detrimental effect on my education. After meeting with disability services at my school and the cooperation of my therapist I was granted additional time on my exams. In addition, I started attending weekly one on one zoom meetings with my professor and found a tutor. Since making these changes I have done SO much better in my classes, literally going from a 56 average to a 90 on my most recent exam. But, despite this increase in scores it's looking like I will only be able to bring my histology grade up to a B-.

Now that you have this background, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask for a recommendation letter despite my low grade in the class? She knows all of the ins and outs of my situation and has met with me weekly. Do you think it would help my application to have a recommendation letter from her? And would it hurt me to have her talk about how I struggled in the beginning of the semester?

Thank you so much for your time!
You need to ask her first: "Professor, do you think that you could you write me a good LOR for my med school application?"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would speak to the professor and ask whether, given your unique circumstances, she would feel comfortable writing an excellent recommendation highlighting that you worked hard and were ultimately able to overcome the obstacles in your path. Of course, this could work out well, but it also runs the risk of highlighting certain negatives. If I were in your shoes, I would ask for the recommendation, but also keep pursuing others. At the end of the day, if I felt that I had a sufficient number of truly excellent recommendations (with no asterisks), I would not send this recommendation, but if I needed it, I would sent it.
Thank you so much! Yeah I definitely will!

You need to ask her first: "Professor, do you think that you could you write me a good LOR for my med school application?"
Thank you so much! I will make sure to ask her specifically if she can write me a good letter.

Reactions: 1 user