Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I attend a Northwestern interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by someperson, Dec 9, 2005.

1. someperson

someperson Member
    5+ Year Member

A) Wants to stay in California
    B) Doesn't like to fly
    C) Heard some really nasty things about the panel/group interview
    D) I am holding a few OOS acceptances, but they are not on NW's level.
    E) Wrote a really awful secondary for NW. Their secondary was the first I sent out, and it shows.
    F) Going on overseas vacation very soon in January, and I need money. NW stops interviewing at the end of January.

Kinda same thing with Dartmouth--the lady told me West Coasters usually take 2-3 days traveling. :wow:

2. shantster

shantster Eye protection!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The way I look at it, only go to the interview if you would go to NW if accepted over the schools that you are already accepted at. If you don't have any desire to go there if accepted, then it would be a waste of money.

3. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Go if you think you might like it. Don't go otherwise.

4. isobel

isobel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well, i wasn't too sure i'd like northewestern before i went. i knew no one from the school and i was like "ew, chicago" but i went and i loved it. if it weren't a plane ride away from new england, it'd be my top choice among schools that have interviewed me.

5. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NW doesn't even have real cadavors (sp?) for their anatomy labs. Plus, the school's not very impressive on their overall ranking.

6. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have never been to Chicago, I'd say go. Chicago is one of the most amazing cities in the world, and there is so much to do and see, you might just fall in love. Then again, it is winter, and winter is harsh there... there are some great Chicago pics in the "which school is the most urban" thread on here. Take a peek.

7. isobel

isobel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well, if the ones i saw weren't real, then they were the realest fakes i've ever seen. and stinkiest.

kidding aside, they definitely have real cadavers.

8. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

don't go to Dartmouth (really does take 3 days from west coast).
    go to NW. don't worry about the group interview and obviously your secondary wasn't too bad if you got an interview. i liked this school a lot.

that's what i would do :)

9. DrRads101

DrRads101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: Did you just make that up? There is a cadaver, a very real one mind you, for every 4 students in the class. Your dismissal of the school's ranking (which is actually quite high and has been steadily increasing since 1994) is also kind of funny coming from a person who calls University of Chicago a "killer school" on other threads. I'm thinking some ulterior motive is involved...

Anyway... to the OP: If you haven't been to Chicago, that is reason enough to go to the interview. I am not from Chicago (now live here obviously) and it is one of the only 2 cities I have ever been to in this country that on first impression blew me away, and I have been EVERYWHERE. However... if you don't want to leave your home state and you think an urban lifestyle while in medical school is not really for you... by all means give up your interview spot for those that really want to go here. It would be the right thing to do. Good luck to you!

10. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

Don't be a crazy foo! Go damn it. This stage of your life will come only once. Use your opportunities to your advantage. Who knows, you might have wished you went later on in the future.

Unless you know full well you NEVER want to go there, but I wouldn't be closing doors this early in your life if I were you.

11. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

happydays = really wants to interview at Northwestern.

Someperson, Folks on here are right, I'd say go to the interview for the hell of it you never know.

12. GALLBLADDER

GALLBLADDER Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Northwestern is gorgeous. Many of the facilities are brand new. The interview day is long, but well organized and informative. I would go again in a heartbeat!

13. potato51

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Man, I would've loved going to school in Chicago, undergrad or med school, whatever. I hope I end up there one day... as long as it's not on Oprah.