Should I be applying to these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just making sure I am applying to the right schools since my GPA's aren't phenomenal.
I am a Texas resident btw.
DAT = 18AA/19TS
science GPA = 3.025
BCP GPA = 3.076
cum GPA = 3.5
I have at least 1000 hours of volunteer work from many organizations but from 3 in particular.

16 Schools:
ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, USC, LECOM, Midwestern-IL, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, UNLV, UMDNJ, NYU, Case, Oklahoma, Baylor, Houston, San Antonio.

If you think I should or shouldn't apply to other specific schools, let me know. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just making sure I am applying to the right schools since my GPA's aren't phenomenal.
DAT = 18AA/19TS
science GPA = 3.025
BCP GPA = 3.076
cum GPA = 3.5
I have at least 1000 hours of volunteer work from many organizations but from 3 in particular.

16 Schools:
ASDOH, Midwestern-AZ, USC, LECOM, Midwestern-IL, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, UNLV, UMDNJ, NYU, Case, Oklahoma, Baylor, Houston, San Antonio.

If you think I should or shouldn't apply to other specific schools, let me know. Thank you.

I've been hearing that ASDOH loves community service....so kudos to you. But you are a texas resident and there are 3 schools there, so my guess is you should have a great shot at one of those. Oklahoma doesn't take more than 10 out of state applicants. Their class size is 58-60 and they require at least 100 hrs of shadowing, as do most schools. I've heard LECOM has a bomb awesome set up for their students...you each have your own station to treat patients. Its a huge school and in florida what could be better. Good luck!

DAT = 18AA/19TS
science GPA = 3.025
BCP GPA = 3.076
cum GPA = 3.5

16 Schools:

You might want to also apply to Roseman. Personally, I don't think you should apply to Iowa, Kentucky, Case, UMDNJ or NYU given your stats, but it's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
But you are a texas resident and there are 3 schools there, so my guess is you should have a great shot at one of those.

He's not going to get into a Texas school with those stats. Unless he's a URM or has great connections.

You might want to also apply to Roseman. Personally, I don't think you should apply to Iowa, Kentucky, Case, UMDNJ or NYU given your stats, but it's up to you.

Agree, but I would keep Case in there, I've known people with low stats but great all around stuff get interview invites......

I agree with you...I doubt I will get into Texas schools which is too bad, but...I've gotta try anyway. I will probably take out Iowa, Kentucky, and UMDNJ. Thank you guys for the advice and for not bashing me because of my stats lol. I think my unique personal statement will generate some interviews though. Should I apply to Maryland?

I agree with you...I doubt I will get into Texas schools which is too bad, but...I've gotta try anyway. I will probably take out Iowa, Kentucky, and UMDNJ. Thank you guys for the advice and for not bashing me because of my stats lol. I think my unique personal statement will generate some interviews though. Should I apply to Maryland?

I would probably say no to Maryland

delete

Last edited:
DAT = 18AA/19TS
science GPA = 3.025
BCP GPA = 3.076
cum GPA = 3.5

16 Schools:

I would remove: Iowa, Kentucky, UNLV, Case, and UMDNJ.

I also think you will have a very tough time with admission for the Texas schools, but I understand leaving them on there because you're a resident.

I think your lower gpa is definitely going to hold you back.

I would not apply to Maryland. I agree that you should add Roseman. I would also consider adding Western.

If you can retake the DAT and bring up your score, I believe that will offset the lower grades and really help you gain admission. I would start preparing now to take the DAT again. If you hear from places, then no harm done. If not, you're ready to take it and will be able to send in that score later in this coming cycle. Best of luck. :thumbup:

I would remove: Iowa, Kentucky, UNLV, Case, and UMDNJ.

I also think you will have a very tough time with admission for the Texas schools, but I understand leaving them on there because you're a resident.

I think your lower gpa is definitely going to hold you back.

I would not apply to Maryland. I agree that you should add Roseman. I would also consider adding Western.

If you can retake the DAT and bring up your score, I believe that will offset the lower grades and really help you gain admission. I would start preparing now to take the DAT again. If you hear from places, then no harm done. If not, you're ready to take it and will be able to send in that score later in this coming cycle. Best of luck. :thumbup:

I would add Western but they require 30 hours of working at a dental office....and I cant find a dentist who will let me do that lol. Is this requirement really that big a deal to Western or should I apply there anyway?

I would add Western but they require 30 hours of working at a dental office....and I cant find a dentist who will let me do that lol. Is this requirement really that big a deal to Western or should I apply there anyway?

Must have a minimum of 30 hours of experience as a dental assistant, dental hygienist, dental laboratory technician and/or observing dentists