Should I Be Concerned?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yowhatup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am going to be a rising junior as a premed student.

I have completed General Biology, General Chemistry, and Human Physiology for which I got A's. I took Organic Chemistry this summer. It was the worst experience ever but anyways for Organic I, I got an A-, but for Organic II I got a B-. I am registered to take Physics junior year.

Should I be concerned about this B-. My overall science GPA is running at 3.64 with this B- included, but because this is an important prerequisite how is a B- in Organic Chemistry II looked by medical school admissions?

And for those of you who say taking Organic in the summer is easier.... its in fact the hardest thing you can do especially if your course lasts 3 weeks and you have to memorize countless reactions in 2-4 days before the next exam. I know I could have done better in the normal academic year for Orgo II.

But anyways how is a B- looked at in general. Its not a C, but not far from it so I dont know what to make of it.

Any suggestions will help. Please be honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Too many variables unaccounted for. What is you undergrad school? What are your extracurriculars? What is your MCAT? Clinical experience? Are you targeting top 10 med school or do you just want to go to a state school? You probably don't have all these blanks filled in yet (particularly MCAT). It's impossible to say what this ONE B- will do to you since grades are only one factor adcoms consider. All things equal across two students, of course an A in orgo is better than a B- but all things are never equal.

Only thing you can do now is keep moving forward and make sure you score as highly as possible on the biological sciences section of the MCAT (even though it's weighted more towards Bio than orgo). If your dream is Harvard, Hopkins, Mayo etc., this alone will not sink you but to get into those places you're going to need a very comprehensive, impressive package that goes well beyond just grades.

Your school has a 3 week long organic chemistry class in the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 weeks.... and everything was covered that is expected in the normal academic year.

But yes I am VERY involved both on campus and in medical related volunteering. I am also currently in the process of getting something published. I would say I am probably one of the most involved premeds on campus. I am trying simply for a state medical school.

But I am still concerned about how a B- is viewed by a medical school admissions committee? I have read everywhere that a C raises questions, A is excellent. But what about specifically a B-?

You don't need to worry about one B- if you're applying to a state school.

that a B- will not keep me out of a state school. But I think my real question is whether a B- is looked upon much higher than getting a C or a C+ in a required prerequisite, because a B- is a "B" and not a "C"

My guess is that it's looked upon as "s/he got a B- in Orgo II, I wonder when that intern's getting back with my lunch?"

Relax. Orgo sucks and as far as I know, entirely useless in the end. You got better than a C, your GPA is solid, you're in good shape. When an adcom member is reviewing hundreds of applications, they aren't going to ruminate over a B- in anything. Because seriously, what's the difference between a C+, B-, and B? A few lucky/unlucky guesses, most likely, particularly in Orgo II.

Organic is easier during the summer OP. I took it during the year, and have been tutoring people during the summer for it. There is no way teachers can go into as much detail during the summer as they would during the year. Summer classes are easier.

Okay so I am going to be a rising junior as a premed student.

I have completed General Biology, General Chemistry, and Human Physiology for which I got A's. I took Organic Chemistry this summer. It was the worst experience ever but anyways for Organic I, I got an A-, but for Organic II I got a B-. I am registered to take Physics junior year.

Should I be concerned about this B-. My overall science GPA is running at 3.64 with this B- included, but because this is an important prerequisite how is a B- in Organic Chemistry II looked by medical school admissions?

And for those of you who say taking Organic in the summer is easier.... its in fact the hardest thing you can do especially if your course lasts 3 weeks and you have to memorize countless reactions in 2-4 days before the next exam. I know I could have done better in the normal academic year for Orgo II.

But anyways how is a B- looked at in general. Its not a C, but not far from it so I dont know what to make of it.

Any suggestions will help. Please be honest.

this is what really matters. You're in good shape... actually exactly the median sGPA for matriculants I think. You may not be going to harvard, but with a good MCAT score (>29) you should be alright somewhere.