Should I be Happy or Sad??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AF1892, Oct 22, 2001.

1. AF1892

AF1892 Member

Hey all,

I don't know any other premeds, so hopefully you guys can give me some advice. MCAT scores came today after re-taking this April's.

April: 6V, 9P, 11B =26
    August: 9V, 9P, 8B =26

I studied my ass off for verbal (I speak 3 languages), and didn't review the others. I've applied to 22 schools (some top & low ranked). My GPA is 3.5, research, etc.. Any input? Should I apply to more schools?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I think you should be happy. That's a much better distributed 26 the second time around. Schools will look at both sets of scores, and know you are capable of the 11 in BS, and a 3 point improvement in Verbal is terrific. You should probably apply to some more lower ranked schools, if you don't want to re-take. Depending on where that 3.5 GPA is from, I'd say not to bother with sending money and secondaries to the higher ranked schools unless you're a URM or have some fantastic EC's or research.

4. Resident Alien

I think someone has to help me here......what are "fantastic extracurriculars", and "killer personal statements" exactly?

5. X

X

I am also wondering what are GOOD "extra-curriculars"? Is it better to be in school realted clubs or outside ones?

I am not in any school related organizations but several other hobby-type orgs. and have hospital volunteer. Good or bad??

X :confused:

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Fantastic EC's would be being a nationally noted musician or athlete, or starting a clinic for the indigent in El Salvador or Africa, or spending years tutoring/teaching in inner city schools. (Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list.) A killer personal statement would tie these things into one's desire to make medicine one's career (I'm sure there are other types of "killer personal statements" as well). Hope this is helpful. :)

7. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Good EC's are being seriously and long-term involved in things you like to do. They don't have to be school clubs. Adcoms want to see that you have a life outside of being pre-med. Volunteering is great, in fact almost a requirement. Hope this answers your questions. :)

8. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member

AF, I agree with SMW. :) :) :)

9. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member

I think you should be jumping for joy!! :D Seriously! You went from a death sentence (i.e. 6 in verbal) to scores that can actually get you into med school... break out the cake and icecream you should party!

10. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Fantastic EC : First authorship in Science or Nature.

11. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

I second the opinion that you should be happy. 26 is not good overall but 9 on the verbal will pull you out of an automatic rejection pile for having 6 on the verbal.

I would apply to more lower-ranked schools, esp. the ones with a reputation for accepting applicants with lower numbers and looking more at their personal sides (speaking 3 languages are impressive in itself), such as Finch, NY medical college and others.

12. Cheater. You copied off me. I got the same exacts scores 9,9,8. Just found out today.