Should I be more involved with Interest Groups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To meet people in particular fields I am interested in?

Members don't see this ad.

networking is important. i am in multiple interest groups, not so much for the networking, but for the great opportunities that remind me why i am enduring the "fun" that is med school. check and see if any groups have procedure clinics. minimum time requirement, and you can get a lot out of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in interest groups for the free food.

Sometimes it feels weird being the only dude at the GYN lunches, but the free Panera Sandwiches make me want to practice my love with women all across this country...

Networking is important...

so do you go to these interest group meetings and actually go and try to have a conversation with the physicians involved that day?

i figured i could do all my networking third year lol

I'm doing it for the hands-on workshops that are going to happen once a month or so (plus the food). I know the surgery club and the emergency medicine club have suturing kits and a few other things. It'd be nice to have some of the basics down before I start doing any type of clinically-related events.

so do you go to these interest group meetings and actually go and try to have a conversation with the physicians involved that day?

i figured i could do all my networking third year lol

I try to have conversations with everyone there. If a physician is taking the time to attend a medical school interest group, they are more likely the type of physician that enjoys teaching medical students (less likely to pimp, abuse, scut work).

If you spend time with those physicians (shadow, lunch, meetings, social events outside medical school), it will help later on when you need their letters for residency. Many will put a tagline in the letter stating how long they have known you. Also, they will introduce you to other physicians.

The "higher up" you go in life the less it becomes about what you know, and the more it becomes who you are and who you know. Everyone around you is smart, but not everyone is kind, out-going, sincere, and fun to be around.

Interest groups definitely help you network and they definitely help when it comes to resume building and talking points on your interview day!!!

That'd be wise. Usually the docs who bother attending/presenting at those meetings care enough to get you involved if you show a little interest. That'd be a nice way to break into the department, especially if you're looking to do something that isn't a core clerkship.